Neck Shave (Haywire Guitars)

Not trying to put Red Rocks on the spot (although I guess I am) how in the heck do I measure my warmoth made/Schecter branded guitar neck so I can replicate my personal fave?

I'll be somewhat close to WA state in the next few months, and if I have to sandcast the thing and drive a few hours, I guess I will and bring it to you.

Would I be wrong in thinking there is some other measurement method for me to tell you folks what neck you built for Schecter, and see if it can be duplicated?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Stratmeup said:
Not trying to put Red Rocks on the spot (although I guess I am) how in the heck do I measure my warmoth made/Schecter branded guitar neck so I can replicate my personal fave?

If you can find an engineering prototype / modelling house that scans, your existing neck could either be scanned using a digitizing arm (contact) or laser (non-contact).  This would give a cloud of points that would give the exact profile of the neck.  Then you would have to find someone to machine the profile into a new neck using the data...  Not cheap, but would be the exact same profile and would be non-damaging to the existing neck.

john_p_wi said:
Stratmeup said:

If you can find an engineering prototype / modelling house that scans, your existing neck could either be scanned using a digitizing arm (contact) or laser (non-contact).  This would give a cloud of points that would give the exact profile of the neck.  Then you would have to find someone to machine the profile into a new neck using the data...  Not cheap, but would be the exact same profile and would be non-damaging to the existing neck.

thank you for that, but if I have to go to this sort of extreme, I guess I'll just be satisfied with the recent neck shave performed by Rick at Haywire. As I mentioned, it's quite good.

My starting point in this endeavour though, was to duplicate my Schecter neck, made by Warmoth. I didn't realize that this would be quite as difficult as it seems to be, as this was simply an off the shelf neck at the time. (although 1 piece solid rosewood)

Stratmeup said:

I'll be somewhat close to WA state in the next few months, and if I have to sandcast the thing and drive a few hours, I guess I will and bring it to you.

Would I be wrong in thinking there is some other measurement method for me to tell you folks what neck you built for Schecter, and see if it can be duplicated?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You would need to have a pair of Calipers and measure the neck at the 1st fret, and 12th fret. The only contours we offer are the ones our site. If you are after a specific feel that replicates an existing neck than having a neck modified is probably your only option. I was just letting everyone know that it voids the warranty. While we try to keep all of our contours to tight tolerances that is not always the case industry wide. You can pick up 4 of the exact same model and have variations on how the neck back was sanded on each instrument.
As a side note we have not made necks for Schecter.

Back