Neck Screw questions.

dmraco

Master Member
How deep should neck screw go into a neck? 

I am dealing with a body that is only 1.5 inches thick.  If I use the stock screws, there come to just under the fretboard.  If this too long?  I bought some slightly shorter screws but they go about 1/2 way into the neck.  There is no other size available.

I would also grind a few mm off the longer screws.... :dontknow:

Thoughts?

I just installed threaded inserts on mine. They go 8 mm into the neck.
The metal screws I got for the inserts are about the same leangth as the stock wood screws, so my guess is that the wood screws also go about 8mm in.

If you have a spare body around (standard thickness), measure how far the screws stick out of the pocket. I would grind the long screws down to a similar length.

Are you using a neck plate with a gasket (plastic spacer) underneath?  That might give you just the right amount.

What line6man and heywood said.  On a side note, I found the easiest way for me to measure how deep a hole is to put your neck, body, and plate/washers together, straighten out a paperclip, and stick it in the hole.  Mark the depth with your thumb (or tape), pull it out, and compare it to the screw -- better to be doubly-safe than sorry

Back