Neck questions.

Heft

So I've got this guitar, and I love the neck. The problem is its fretless  and I'd like something with frets. It's a warmoth neck. I know the specs. Am I good to just order the exact same neck with 6150 frets and get the same feel? Or will putting frets on a neck change it?
The guitar also has an American Fender trem on it. I'd like to go hard tail. Should I go with a Fender fixed bridge (for string spacing?).

1 - yes the frets will change the feel.  By a surprising amount.  You need to compensate for the height of the frets when choosing the new matching neck

2 - er, um - why not just block it?

The body the neck is on now has some issues. I'd rather just salvage what I can and start over.
Mayfly said:
2 - er, um - why not just block it?

Why didn't you say the body was junk?  Lets start with first principals.  What string spacing do you like?  So why don't you do what you suggest and salvage the parts you can and just block it on new body?  Or you can go with a hardtail.  There a bunch of companies that make hardtail bridges ... Hip shot. Gotoh string saver babicz ... Etc. You should peruse their websites and see which ones appeal the most to you.

Disclaimer: I'm old fashioned and a dinosaur.

That said.........................

You didn't say if it is a Strat body, but since it has a trem I guess it doesn't matter.

If the new body is a Strat body, being a dinosaur and old fashioned a Strat should have a trem.
However, if you don't want to use it I'd either block it, OR (preferred) just screw the trem claw all of the way in, with 3 to 5 springs.

Next issue: What size frets to get.
The 6150 are not exactly the biggest, but they're pretty good sized.
If you like the fretless feel you may want to look at one of the smaller fret sizes on the Warmoth site fret page.

ejm said:
If you like the fretless feel you may want to look at one of the smaller fret sizes on the Warmoth site fret page.

I agree. I think the smallest frets possible will be closest to the feel of a fretless neck.

Maybe go play a few guitars in the local shops and see if anything feels good and then take note of the specs.

Back