neck profiles...fatback, or boat

59tele

I just recived a fatback strat neck,,it is smoking nice!! how close is the boat neck profile to the fat back..?

Attachments

• 3-23-12 010.jpg
    3-23-12 010.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 753
  • 3-23-12 009.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 624
I Photoshopped them all on top of each other a while back. Not necessarily 100% accurate, but:

Warmoth-Neck-Contours.jpg

the boat is a fatback that's had the shoulders slimmed a bit, to create a slight v contour. If you have a "thumb over" sorta style this might work well for you, but some find it uncomfortable.

it should be fine,,,, if it was a bit of a deeper v cut that would be even better...,, got to find a nice one on the showcase...

Bête Noire has a boatneck. 

It's beefy but, to my mitts, very comfy to play.  I've played it pretty much daily for a half hour or more per day for the last few weeks, to the exclusion of all other axes, and when I picked up another guitar with a standard thin contour, it was like playing guitar on a chopstick.

Bagman67 said:
Bête Noire has a boatneck. 

It's beefy but, to my mitts, very comfy to play.  I've played it pretty much daily for a half hour or more per day for the last few weeks, to the exclusion of all other axes, and when I picked up another guitar with a standard thin contour, it was like playing guitar on a chopstick.

I don't think I can go back from the Fatbacks now. Something about the fat back/boat neck ones. Bagmans on the ball.

I have a Fatback, but found the shoulders too broad - and I don't have small hands - about 9.5" from tip of thumb to pinky on stretched hand.  I think I would have really liked the Boat.  As it stands, I have a standard thin that I just love.

drewfx said:
I Photoshopped them all on top of each other a while back. Not necessarily 100% accurate, but:

Ummmmmmmmmmmm.....isn't the SRV back contour "fatter" than the Wolfgang?

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/BackContours.aspx

After playing it a while I don't notice so much, but for me the weirdest thing about the Fatback, is not the overall girth, it's the lack of taper.It's a full 1.0" thick all the way down to the nut. I may try an SRV if my next build doesn't start with a showcase gottahave. Whenever that may be.

DustyCat said:
drewfx said:

Ummmmmmmmmmmm.....isn't the SRV back contour "fatter" than the Wolfgang?

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/BackContours.aspx
Yes it is, that's why the color for SRV shows more neck meat than the Wolfgang.  The sides may be a bit different. They're both asymmetric shapes.

Sounds good. I've an SRV Wenge/Bloodwood neck on my VIP.  My other axe has a 59.  I like them both.  I haven't figured out if one is better than the other for me yet.

Back