Neck profile opinions - larger than standard thin

mayfly

Epic Member
ok all you big handed folks,

what's your favorite larger-than-standard-thin neck profile?

I want to move to a bigger size and I'm looking for opinions - because you know what they say about gents with big hands...  :eek:

No issues on the fat back for me, but then again I prefer the necks a bit stouter.   That said... I'm about to try a boat neck I've got here and haven't put on a guitar yet.  

59 or SRV. 59 feels so right on an LP.  Wolfgang was nice, Clapton was weird in retrospect.

I've got an SRV and it feels better in my hand than the standard thin, more comfortable.  It just feels right.  However, I find the standard thin easier to play faster lead lines and runs, but after  while, my fretting hand starts to really cramp up.  On my next build I think I'm going to go for the Wolfgang as it seems to be an in between choice.  Hopefully it will turn out as such.

I swear I'm going for a boatneck, next time.  I said that I was going to get a boatneck for both of my previous two builds, but I couldn't stand the wait for them to make me one, and there just aren't as many on the showcase.  Next time though, for real.  I mean it.

Thanks for the opinions folks!  I think I'm gonna get a boat neck after my wallet recovers from Christmas.

Back