neck pocket fit?

leftystratman

I just noticed that at the highest fret (21) on my hollow strat, the high E string is really close to the edge of the fret.  I had a similar issue with a USACG strat body which was a little more severe, so I assume this may be quite common.  so I'm wondering if anyone has an advice on tweaking the neck pocket to align the neck properly.  right now, it's got a tight fit, so I think I can file the inner part of the neck pocket a little bit.

Before you start sanding the neck or body, check to see if it can't be corrected at the nut, you may be able to move the nut over slightly or install one with a tad bit closer spacing and that would move the strings further from the edge. I don't know what your situation looks like, so if ya could post pics it would be easier to say if there is an easier solution, you definantly don't want to alter the neck or pocket if you don't have to, if its only close to the last fret edge on one side only then installing a new nut with a tad bit closer string spacing seems like it would be a better solution and be more practical, as well as saving you alot of grief that messing with the neck pocket might give.  :)  though again, that may not do it if your bridge isn't centered or your neck pocket actually is off.

hey Superbeast520, thanks for the tip!  that's a great idea.  I'll try it later today.  but what if the bridge is not perfectly centered?  what can be done?  the screw holes for a bridge were already drilled, and the bridge has counter sunk hole, so I can't really  shift the bridge base.  it's a Callaham hardtail bridge by the way.

Nice bridge, but short of plugging the screw holes and then redrilling I don't really know what else you could do to realign the bridge.

you'll know if the bridge or nut is off by looking down the strings and seeing if the dots on the neck are centered between the D and G strings all the way down the neck, If they are then the Nut adjustment or replacement is all that is needed, if not try to size up wether moving or replacing the nut will do the trick, if not then the bridge may be off, though it could be the pocket.

you can tie a piece of dental floss to the G string post and the Rear Strap button and run it down the center of the neck to see if the pocket is right, if it is all the dots on the neck should be centered on the string, and the string should also fall between the D and G saddles as well if the bridge is centered.

Strats tend to run closer to the edge of the fretboard, depending on the nut and bridge.

A change at the nut will effect things at the nut end more... and have almost no effect at the bridge end of things.  The reverse is true.

The thing to check - is how even is the spacing of the strings and, are the two E's centered edge to edge.

Of all the Warmoth bodies and necks I've assembled (5... 6?.. something like that), I've never had an alignment issue that was NOT the cause of a tight neck pocket and some finish buildup altering things just a wee wee bit.  That is, if I could pull the neck into alignment with the screws a bit loosened, I knew it was a simple matter of some pocket cleanup to get it 100 percent perfect.  Neck pockets should NOT be super tight, but just a bit of an almost no tolorance drop in.  Fender factory necks are relatively loose in the pockets compared to Warmoth, and they do just fine.  You might need to check for finish buildup and or an overhanging pickguard, or swelled laminate, or ... just needing a bit of easing.  You will have to remove almost no material at all.  Go super slow - sanding not filing.  Use a block (you'll need to make your own).  A very few minutes with some 320 grit paper and all of my necks were dead center, and still relatively tight (much tighter than Fender factory necks). 

Also remember, what you remove from the bottom side of one edge, also gets removed from the top opposite side.  That is, if the neck must be "rotated" a bit counter clockwise to get more edge space, you'd want to sand the bottom right and upper left sides of the pocket - just a little bit, to clean them up.

That's why the heel of a Strat (and most other) guitar neck(s) is curved. Wow, one might need to rotate it a little. I've gotten some great deals on stuff at GC since some folk apparently don't know that the neck CAN be rotated.

I've had to clean up most finished bodies to center the neck. This can be an issue especially on Strats with a vintage bridge due to the wide string spacing.

Just loosen two of the neck bolts a bit (diagonally from each other), give the neck a good yank sideways in the direction you want the nut to move, and tighten the bolts back up.

thanks everyone for all the info, especially CB!  the neck I'm using is a MIJ Fender strat neck, and it fits fine in any Fender strats as well as my Warmoth tele body.  and I checked the alignment along the fret dots, and yes, it's crocked.  so I will sand the pocket slightly and try rotating the neck.  I think it makes sense.  I will keep you guys posted!

:rock-on:

I dont know if this will work for you or not, It works for me, This takes both hands and coordination.

I depress the trem to loosen the strings, and while holding the trem down, loosen the neck screws slightly, there should be enough slop to fudge your neck over a bit, and center the strings on the neck, you will have to let up on the trem a bit for the strings to be straight ( I in fact only depress the trem when moving the neck)

Some might argue that I am at risk of pulling the screws out of the neck, I dont think so, as I only loosen the bolts enough to rotate the neck slightly.

I have a hard time believing that theres not enough slop in the neck joint to center the strings, unless the bridge is way out of alignment.

I wouldn't mess with the nut, It would have to be totally screwed up for the strings to be off centered at the 21st fret.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

drum roll please.... 

it's fixed!!  the problem was there wasn't enough space in the pocket to rotate the neck, it was super tight (not so tight that you'd break the pocket).  I know how tight, or loose might be a better word, the neck pocket is on my Fender strat body, so I kept sanding little by little until the fret dots are centered between 3rd and 4th strings while making sure it didn't get looser than the Fender strat neck pocket.  it wasn't a rocket science, but I would have hesitated more without CB's explanation. 

what surprised me most is how much of a difference <1mm misalignment can make!

thanks CB!

:rock-on:

Back