Neck Dimensions...

Strat Avenger

I bought my 22-fret Warmoth roasted maple w/ebony fretboard Strat neck about a year and-a-half ago for a "future build". Got sidetracked with other things and still haven't finished it (just need to get it painted and put the thing together).  Well, a few months ago, I happened to notice that there is quite a gap between the fretboard overhang and the pickguard, which my other Strats don't have. Instead of 1/32" gap, it's 3/32". Finally did some measuring last night and discovered that the neck pocket in the body is the correct depth (5/8"), but the distance between the FB overhang and bottom of neck is 13/16". According to Warmoth specs on their website, it's supposed to be 3/4".
Why is this? What are the +/- tolerances for Warmoth's official specs? Kind'a bums me out that the gap is 1/16" more than it should be. It's obviously not a warranty issue after so much time has passed, and won't affect the playability. The previous Warmoth Strat neck I bought 7 years ago has exactly the correct gap.
:dontknow:

Hmmm...So after numerous views, no one has any thoughts to express on the subject. I wonder if it's because perhaps most people never pay any attention to fretboard overhang gap on their guitars.
:icon_scratch:

I guess as long as the neck pickup and pick guard all fit with the overhang people aren't to fussed about it. I've often ordered 21 fret necks because I don't like the overhang. But I do have a couple of guitars with 22 fret necks. Is the body on the guitar you are referencing a Warmoth body? I've mixed and matched between Warmoth and the former USACG parts and a couple of times neck pockets have had to be sanded ever so slightly to fit body and neck together.

Street Avenger said:
Hmmm...So after numerous views, no one has any thoughts to express on the subject. I wonder if it's because perhaps most people never pay any attention to fretboard overhang gap on their guitars.
:icon_scratch:

Could you provide some pics?

musicispeace said:
I guess as long as the neck pickup and pick guard all fit with the overhang people aren't to fussed about it. I've often ordered 21 fret necks because I don't like the overhang. But I do have a couple of guitars with 22 fret necks. Is the body on the guitar you are referencing a Warmoth body? I've mixed and matched between Warmoth and the former USACG parts and a couple of times neck pockets have had to be sanded ever so slightly to fit body and neck together.
Warmoth Strat body. The neck pocket is perfect. 5/8" deep, and quite snug without being too tight. Couldn't ask for better.

I am unable to say why it is like that or whether it is within Warmoth's tolerance but at least it is not 1/16" less than it should be.

Has the neck been finished? 
Could it have got moisture in it causing it to expand to some degree?

However it is like that there is always the possibility to plane or sand it down to spec.

yo, a long time ago before I got rid of it I noticed my one vintage-modern neck had a thinner FB (frettboard) on it compared to my modern necks. maybe that's it? if da necks are overall same thickness but the FB on top is thinner then the gap between the top of the body and the underbottom of the FB would be more bigger with a vintage-modern. right?
okay, brb im gonna go figure out how to get the cheese out of this #stuffed crust pizza without destroying the pizza itself (for eating later after my research). this company claims there is like 3 feet of cheese inside that crust and i intend to find out just how true that is. if any1 knows how to get the cheese out, u know where 2 find me

BroccoliRob said:
yo, a long time ago before I got rid of it I noticed my one vintage-modern neck had a thinner FB (frettboard) on it compared to my modern necks. maybe that's it? if da necks are overall same thickness but the FB on top is thinner then the gap between the top of the body and the underbottom of the FB would be more bigger with a vintage-modern. right?
okay, brb im gonna go figure out how to get the cheese out of this #stuffed crust pizza without destroying the pizza itself (for eating later after my research). this company claims there is like 3 feet of cheese inside that crust and i intend to find out just how true that is. if any1 knows how to get the cheese out, u know where 2 find me
Yeah, makes sense. Additionally, the neck with the excessive gap has an ebony FB while the one I was comparing it to is a one-piece maple. Both necks are the same overall thickness, so no problem there. Another thing I learned only a few days ago (yeah, I'm late to the party), which has no bearing on this particular issue, is that many later Fender guitars had an 11/16" neck pocket depth while Warmoths and vintage Fenders have a 5/8" depth. My 1990 Fender Strat has almost no gap (like 1/64") between the rosewood FB and pickguard. My yellow Warmoth Strat (here in my profile pic) has a very nice 1/32" gap between overhang and pickguard.

I just never thought to compare this stuff in the past. I prefer less of a gap than what this latest neck has, but it's strictly an asthetic thing and does not affect the function.

Nice, dude, nice. BTW I was able to get the cheese out but there was only 2.5ft (feet) instead of the promised 3 so i got a coupon from the manufacturer so im not gonna blow up their social med.

Back