Neck arrived today.......wow!

Just heard back from Warmoth. They said something does look off but I'd need to send the neck back for them to look at. Since I just waited 6 weeks to get my project completed I really don't want to wait another 2 weeks minimum to get it back. I just sent another email with the picture below with tape measure. I use a local luthier who is an authorized repair and service center for almost all major brands. They do fantasic work and I can have a new nut installed and "fine tuned" in 2 days for $40 bucks. Hummmmm 2-3 weeks or 2 days. However, I don't want to have thrown the $35 bucks down the toilet for the old nut. I asked about taking it to www.jthomasdavis.com to "check it out" and fix.....waiting to hear back. I was going to order my neck with no nut and have them install it but thought I'd save myself a trip....ha ha, I know I should listen to those voices in my head. :toothy12:

Haha, he said "nut problem."

I dunno, that's how I like mine cut; with extra space on the sides.  Don't shoot me. 

-Mark

it's ok....I won't shoot ya, to each his own right.

Update: After sending new pics to Rob at Warmoth they are going to refund me for the nut, send me a new one and I'll send the old nut back to them. I told him no need to send a new one that I was getting a black buffalo horn nut installed. I didn't want to pass judgment on Warmoth until this matter was resolved. Rob was very quick to respond to my emails and we were able to work it out so we had a win-win situation. Some companies would have just said they aren't doing anything unless the neck (or whatever) was sent back to them. Soooo, I give Warmoth a 10 out 10 for customer service :icon_thumright:. Going to have the new nut installed and full setup, frets leveled.....etc.

scartozi said:
Rob was very quick to respond to my emails and we were able to work it out so we had a win-win situation. Some companies would have just said they aren't doing anything unless the neck (or whatever) was sent back to them. Soooo, I give Warmoth a 10 out 10 for customer service :icon_thumright:. Going to have the new nut installed and full setup, frets leveled.....etc.

I second that, Rob is quick like a rabbit, it's almost frightening how "on top" of things he is.  I'm hours ahead of him, time zone wise, and he was always a step ahead of me.

Now here is the funny part. I was in contact with my local luthier explaining the situation with my string spacing and took it in to have a black buffalo horn installed at the correct string spacing for the 1 3/4 neck. I was in a hurry when I picked it up and after I got home and took it out of the case I realized they used the same string spacing :sad: So, I emailed him the next day asking if there was a reason for this and he apologized saying that even though he just read my email the day before and we talked about it that day he forgot to put that on the work order. So I gotta take it back in to get another nut made at the correct string spacing....at no charge of course. Honest mistake, they do excellent work and turn around time is 2 days.

third times a charm :laughing11:

FINALLY IT'S DONE!........picked my guitar up this week with the new nut/string spacing done correctly, what a difference!!!! The spacing is actually 4/32nds bigger than before instead of 1 13/32 its 1 17/32 and the reveal down the neck is nice and even.....case closed on my nut problem :laughing7:

Can you post a photo of how it looks now?  This is just for my benefit.  I could never see the issue but it may be just my eye.

Glad you got it worked out...ENJOY...

DMRACO Here are a few pictures of the way it looks now. If you look at the pics from before you can see a taper in the strings from the heel to the nut and how much space there was between the E strings on the edge of the nut. Now there is an even reveal all the way down the neck and man it made a huge difference :party07: Sorry the pics arent the best but I just took some quick ones.

Thanks man...I can see the difference now in the full body shot with your nut... :laughing8:

And to think...you won GOTM...even with one bad nut....

this can go on for a while...

I'm planning a Wenge/Ebony no inlay neck for my Korina strat. And you're causing me to waffle on the headstock. I know I want straight because it's got a Wilkinson trem but... That does look nice

I'm late to this discussion (haven't been on the forum for awhile), but this is why I prefer to cut my own nuts (yeah, I know - that sounds both perverted and painful!). With a little practice and some simple tools and sandpapers, you can do this job yourself...and get the string spacing where you want it.

On most of my guitars, including new ones that are mid to high level instruments, I find the string spacing too close together; I want as much space as I can get between the strings without them falling off the fingerboard.

Yours now looks the way that I like mine (and I like 1 3/4" nuts, too...real men have big nuts!). I bet it's much more comfortable to play that way now.

That's a sweet looking build - enjoy!  (P.S. What kind of pickups and pots?)

reverend mikey: Noiseless pickups with tone boost circuit.....the guitar was an Eric Clapton "Blackie" Artist Series Strat so the pickups and pots are all stock......for now.

Back