Neck arrived today.......wow!

scartozi

So the final stages of my "Driftwood" strat are about complete. Today was a long day at work since I knew when I got home my neck would be there.

First impressions:
The neck is gorgeous! The feel of the neck and the frets far exceeded what I'd expected and I must say that all other builds I do will have a wenge neck....to me it's the best feeling neck wood I've played! With 1 3/4" at the nut I'm glad I went with the Standard Thin contour.....perfect. Now that brings me to the nut. I had a Black Tusq XL nut installed and this is the first time I've seen a nut with angled cuts for the high and low E string. I've had a few other guitars that the string break from the nut to the tuner is far greater than the Warmoth headstock and they haven't been angled. Has anyone else seen this? It's kinda making the high and low E strings appear as though the neck is out of line but the other strings have the same measurement all the way down the neck. Maybe once the neck settles in and I take it to have a full setup they can shead some light on the subject. But....I'm very happy with the neck...awsome :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

Hehehe, looking forward to seeing it Scartozi. I wish I was receiving wood-filled boxes.

there is about a 1/16th difference between the string and edge of fretboard at the heel and the nut. If I take the string out of the nut slot on both E strings I can line them up with a perfect reveal down the neck. Doesn't effect playablility but wonder if I'm loosing some string spacing.

just out of curiosity.....can anyone measure from E to E string on your 1 11/16 neck at nut and let me know what you have. I have an 1 3/4 neck but I'm just trying to figure this out.

On 1' 11/16th necks, the string spacing is roughly 1'' 13/32th. That leaves around 9/64th between each E string and the edge of the fret board.

Jean: when I measure from E to E I have 1 13/32 and 5/32nds from edge of fretboard to each E string. This is a 1 3/4 nut....the E strings need to go roughly 1/16th out further. I have to take the low E completely out of the groove, move it toward the edge of the fretboard a string width to make it line up evenly down the fretboard. I need to contact Warmoth and see what the string spacing is suppose to be on a 1 3/4 nut. Like I said, it's not effecting the playability but feel I'm not gettting the "room" I wanted with the 1 3/4 nut.

all the info I can find on a 1 3/4" nut the string spacing from E to E should be 1 1/2" not the 1 13/32" that I have. At the 1 1/2 measurement the string reveal down the neck would be right on the money.

Just for fun, did you measure the width of the neck at the nut? 'Cause in theory if you add up the measurements you provided, that would be closer to an 1 11/16th nut!

You said 1 13/32 between E's, + 2 x 5/32 outer gaps = 1 23/32 (or 1 11/16, plus a tiny measurement error of 1/32) - note that this is very close to what I wrote in my previous post, measured on my Wn-style 1 11/16 neck (my outer gaps are 9/32 on the dot)

Check it out... could be a production or ordering error.

it's an 1 3/4 nut, string spacing has to be wrong. From what I've read the average is 1 1/2 to 1 9/16 for an 1 3/4 nut. If I measure out 1 1/2 it puts my reveal almost spot on with the. Bottom line......it's off. I've sent Dan at Warmoth an email about this. Probably going to have a new nut made for it. I understand the "theory" but it is in fact a 1 3/4 neck/nut.

If you zoom in on this picture to where you can see the whole neck you can see the taper of the strings from the heel to the nut.

Indeed, that looks strange.

I can see it, and I agree; that nut's off. I've got 1 13/32" on center spacing E->E on 3 different necks with three different style nuts (TUSQ, Earvana, LSR) installed on 1 11/16" necks.

To be fair, it's probably an easy mistake to make. They don't install the necks on anything, so it wouldn't be obvious until someone did.

I cant see it.  It may be the angle the photo was taken.  Remember...the low E is much thicker than the hi E so the difference in spacing between the edge of the string and the edge of the fret board will be seen.  Are the strings sliding off when fretting up near the guitar body?

BTW...the guitar looks great...worn without being beat up.  How did you age the tailpiace and jack?  looks killer.

The pic is pretty close to being straight, that's the way it actually looks. I understand that mistakes happen and I don't hold anything against Warmoth. I understand that adjustments may be needed when getting a factory nut installed, however, there isn't much you're going to do about string spacing. There is no doubt that I'll have to get a new nut installed. I hope to hear from them today and go from there.

DMRACO: I posted a recent comment about how I aged my hardware under "DIY Finishing" and the thread is "Relic'n Tips".....hope that helps, if you'd like to see a more close up pic let me know and I'll take and post some.

Back