Natural swamp ash Tele

kruneh

I thought it was time to put up pics of my first Warmoth project.
I was around on the old board and have been lurking around here ever after, a great source for future ideas.

I finished this around easter or something like that, exept for the wiring. I really hate soldering, but after a while I gave it a try and was really pleased with the result, until I tried it and it turned out it didn´t work  :icon_biggrin:
After that I´ve been working way to much and haven´t been able to get it done, but I can use it just by a little "hand-wiring" (I´ve actually used it live), but it doesn´t have any controls though..
I know, i know..

Ok
This is a Hollow Warmoth Tele, one piece swamp ash with a one piece swamp ash top wich I did an oil-finish on.
Satin finished maple neck with a beautyful Kingwood fretboard.

Planet Waves auto trim tuners that are awesome and every vintage lovers nightmare, an Earvane nut  :grin:
Acoustically it sounds truly great, powerful and with great sustain. Plugged it sounds huge, I wish it was finished though :)
It´s quite lightweight wich was kind of important for me and has comfort contoures like a Strat.
Pickups are from Lundgren in Sweden.
I will get some of those compensated bridge saddles to get it intonated proberly, I´m struggling a bit with that.
It turned out pretty much as planned, a bit of 50s Tele with a little modernism here and there.

Ok, are you ready for a little picture-overkill :)

IMG_0571.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

Looks very cool. I just ordered a VERY similar build yesterday, but solid body with strat neck and middle pups. Can you tell me about the Earvana nut; are you happy with it, does it make a noticeable difference, did it take lots of filing to get it right, was it hard to set up?  The idea is intriguing to me.

to questions  1.what type of oil did you use to finish????  2.did you grainfill? if yes how?

i like your guitar very much

Hi guys.

I decided to try out the Earvana nut just for the sake of it.
Does it make a difference? Well, I guess, but my ears is far from hearing that difference. With the help of a tuner you´ll probably get a picture of it though, comparing it to another guitar.
I´m sure there´s lots of people with a better sense of pitch than me, and they may hear a difference, but I dont. On the other hand I´ve never really tested this things out either..
And lastly, I´m struggling a bit with the intonation with the bridge anyway, so we´ll se what happens when I put on some compensated saddles.

There is a little work to make the earvana fit perfect (mine is not  :icon_biggrin: ), but anyone that´s at least a little handy shouldn´t worry about it. It´s all about patience and good tools.
As most of you others I´m always planing my next build and I´m not sure wheter I will use an earvana or not. Honestly, I don´t think it makes a very big difference to me personally.

The idea of the guitar was to have nice wood, nice grain, but not necesarilly a perfect finish. Who doesn´t love an old Tele, full og wear and tear..
I simply used an oil called Liberon finishing oil. They use it much for kitchnens and that stuff here, a pretty regular oil, nothing fancy.   Ops, I´m from Norway by the way.., so i don´t know if this is available anywhere else..
I´ know theres better oil finish products out there, but for this particular build that wasn´t really the main goal.
This means I didn´t do any grain filling either, it´s all raw and wild  :glasses9:

Liberon is available from www.toolsforwoodworking.com; appears to be pure tung oil blended with other unspecified "high quality oils"

Cool!
I was afraid that it would be to yellow, but it turned out pretty much as I wanted, a tad dark on the front though.
Back is just as I wanted.

My two cents on the Earvana nut--

I'm sure there are lots of guys who think it's unnecessary, silly, etc etc. Maybe you haven't noticed a difference because of setup-related intonation issues? A good setup is so amazingly essential.. Anyway, I put an earvana on my first build, and have found it makes a HUGE difference. I am so pleased with it.

It's not perfect but it's damn close. I wish it wasn't made of cheap feeling plastic (maybe it's the same material as the corian nuts, I don't know). If I could get an earvana nut out of bone, I would be in heaven. Definitely worth the $30, and honestly, maybe the cheapy plastic sucks tone? I can't tell.

I can tell that extended chords and major thirds sound in tune.

Dude, there's no such thing as picture overkill.  Love the Kingwood with abolone dots.  Very classy.

dudesweet157 said:
Dude, there's no such thing as picture overkill.
He's right.
:icon_thumright:
"I can tell that we are gonna be friends." This project has got my Tele jones working overtime more than any in quite a while, maybe second only to some vintage Broad's/No's. This is so close to what I want to do.
The pic of the back of the whole thing is absolutely my favorite! I see flush pole pieces in the bridge p/up!
About intonation, I read a great thing on the Seymour Duncan site about 3-saddlers: You could intonate each saddle so that the lower string is just slightly sharp and the higher slightly flat; it could very well sound more in tune with itself than a perfectly intonated 6-saddle; like a piano: the really lower strings are always tuned slightly sharp and the highest slightly flat: not technically perfect but one tuned perfectly would actually sound terrible!
My only "if" is the black p/guard with kingwood. Sorry
:help:

Thanks guys!

Concerning the Earvana nut, I should really test it out a little more, but as I said, with the small intonation issues I´m struggling with it´s not time yet..
I consider myself to have a terrible sense of pitch so that won´t help, but I´m sure there´s a noticeble difference. I don´t think it´s that easy to fool people with a product.

Tweed:

I want to try out a white pearl pickguard on it, but I personally like the regular black one a lot too. I might be a little conservative  :icon_biggrin:
I should look into the intonation thing you mentioned too, thanks.

kruneh said:
Thanks guys!

Concerning the Earvana nut, I should really test it out a little more, but as I said, with the small intonation issues I´m struggling with it´s not time yet..
I consider myself to have a terrible sense of pitch so that won´t help, but I´m sure there´s a noticeble difference. I don´t think it´s that easy to fool people with a product.

kruneh, I wasn;t meaning to suggest that you've messed up because you don't hear a huge difference (if that's how it came across). I just wanted to give another opinion in case other people were considering giving the earvana a shot. Since it's cheap, I figure it's worth everyone at least trying it out.

nathan a said:
kruneh said:
Thanks guys!

kruneh, I wasn;t meaning to suggest that you've messed up because you don't hear a huge difference (if that's how it came across). I just wanted to give another opinion in case other people were considering giving the earvana a shot. Since it's cheap, I figure it's worth everyone at least trying it out.

No sweat my friend. I didn´t take your post personal or something, but I felt that my post regarding the nut came out wrong, that´s why I wrote a reply trying to explain that to me personally it doesn´t do a big difference (yet), but I´m sure works well for others. I´m not a great player, neither have good sense of pitch so I´m in a way maybe not the kind of person Earvana try to reach with the product (now, they want to sell as many as possible of course).
As english is not my native language, it´s sometimes easy to mess things a little bit up.
I would sugest people to try the Earvana out, as you say it´s a cheap investment and can be a nice upgrade to your guitars sound.

I'm definitely a fan of the black p/guard! My planned build is clean Blackguard Tele. I've been wanting a rosewood board on it, but seeing a guit-fiddle with brown board/black guard makes me second guess myself now; maybe I'll use a fully canary neck! I'm unbelievably finicky about colors matching.
I might suggest a brown tortoise p/guard, but that would probly overshadow the kingwood.

That guitar looks so comfortable. Old sweater with a hole in the elbow comfortable. All day sunday on the couch comfortable.

Damn, I've got to build one.

Back