Natural masked binding with dye?

Dolando

I might try a natural masked binding and I want to do a washed black dye finish? I've heard you spray a sealer to stop it seeping through. Is this still the case with dye? If so, Do I do this over the whole top or just where the tape is?

Also, any particular type of tape that's best to use?

Thanks.

greywolf said:
I use Zinzers shellac to seal the wood first over the binding .

So you mask up the body, then use shallac just over the binding and leave the rest natural?

That's how I read greywolf's recommendation.  Although shellac seals the surface, my concern would be that dye penetrates the wood deeply, and could possibly spread throughout the wood grain pores underneath the shellac... especially if you use a water-based dye, which dries more slowly than alcohol.

Only one way to proceed... TEST, TEST, TEST on scraps!

Yea, I had planned on using a water based dye, but open to others. I would like to try some test pieces, but struggle to find off cuts of flame maple in the UK to test on. I would also like to test out some different masking tape to see what ones actually do what they're supposed to do.

Many dyes can be mixed with either water or alcohol... mix batches of both and test them side-by-side.  You can see the effects of water vs alcohol delivery using the same dye on the same wood.

I will suggest that unless you're using multiple colors to create depth and a textured look, you don't need deeper grain penetration (water-base).  As for scraps, I find lots of goodies from local furniture/cabinet builders that permit me to pilfer their trash/recycling bins.

Yea I think I'll be doing some tests when I can get hold of some flame maple.

If the washed black doesn't look right, then I'm going to try something similar to the Tigers Eye finish, so would like some texture to it. Reckon I'm best to stick with water based?

Dolando said:
Yea I think I'll be doing some tests when I can get hold of some flame maple.

If the washed black doesn't look right, then I'm going to try something similar to the Tigers Eye finish, so would like some texture to it. Reckon I'm best to stick with water based?

I'd recommend procion mx dyes (water based, although I usually add solvent to them to increase penetration).. I just posted some info on them in this thread

For natural masked binding thinned shellac is a good option, as greywolf mentioned.  You want to make sure the shellac mixture is very thinned so it penetrates into the wood farther and will thus be more effective at stopping any color bleed from happening

Back