Natty masked, amber dye quilt top with flame & pau neck

StogiePatriot

I bribed my UPS driver who showed early today and brought my Bertha!  As always, it's not real without pictures.  This is the way it went down....
dsc_0721.png

dsc_0723.png

dsc_0724.png

dsc_0726.png

dsc_0727.png

dsc_0728.png

dsc_0731.png

dsc_0732.png

dsc_0734.png

dsc_0735.png

dsc_0736.png

dsc_0737.png

dsc_0738.png

Now I just have to wait for the triple shot rings to show up and I can finish the install and hear her sing.  I thought that the control penetrations would be made but a little tape, razor and a soft hand should be enough to avoid tears...

:cool01: :party07: :guitarplayer2: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :guitarplayer2: :party07: :cool01:

What are the specs on that neck? I really like it, especially because my current project will also have sharkfin inlay with a Warmoth headstock.

And that amber quilt maple is gorgeous!  :eek: This will be one classy guitar when finished - you getting chrome rings?

Patriot54 said:
What are the specs on that neck? I really like it, especially because my current project will also have sharkfin inlay with a Warmoth headstock.

And that amber quilt maple is gorgeous!  :eek: This will be one classy guitar when finished - you getting chrome rings?

I thank you - actually it's all going black for now; I might go nickle/chrome later if it drains on me, but I wanted to have the 'stuff' disappear and just drool over the maple goodness.  :sad: :laughing8: :icon_biggrin:

Ah, the neck - damn expensive neck in comparison to a mighty mite, but it feels like it'll be worth it...
Item Number: CN10319, Warmoth, Warmoth Pro Angled, Right Handed Handed,
Flame Maple, Pau Ferro Fretboard,
1 11/16" Nut Width, Standard thin,
6150, Gotoh/Grover (13/32", 11/32") Tuner Ream, 22 frets,
10-16" Compound Radius,
Pearloid Sharkfin Inlay,
Cream Binding, R4 Floyd Prep, w/ Mounting Holes,
Clear Satin Nitro, (Which is nearly non-existant - my goodness it feels like a 600 sanded raw board....)
25-1/2 in. Scale, Standard 4 Bolt

Hope that helps

StogiePatriot said:
I thought that the control penetrations would be made but a little tape, razor and a soft hand should be enough to avoid tears...

Nice choices!

The ordering page doesn't care if you don't ask for switch/pot holes, perhaps thinking you want to place them yourself, so there's no warning if you forget. I did the same thing with my Soloist. Holes are no problem, but cutting slots isn't any fun.

Cagey said:
StogiePatriot said:
I thought that the control penetrations would be made but a little tape, razor and a soft hand should be enough to avoid tears...

Nice choices!

The ordering page doesn't care if you don't ask for switch/pot holes, perhaps thinking you want to place them yourself, so there's no warning if you forget. I did the same thing with my Soloist. Holes are no problem, but cutting slots isn't any fun.

Well it's not like it's going back because of that!  :D  I have some .050 router bits for my foredom so hopefully it won't be too bad...

Hopefully everything is drama free and maybe I've got a GOM entry?  Who knows!

Thanks everyone for your kind words - this one has been an inflection point for me (I've now got 3 more in flight being built in the shop from raw lumber; because I got so into the process of spec'ing the body and my health radically changed from suck to cool overnight - testosterone injections baby)  but this one is special to me...

Wow!! Stunning! Obviously the quilt top is glorious, but
the BACK in that finish is just amazing!! Gonna be a monster...

Very nice combination. I've thought about something similar to that with a soloist body.

Very, very nice Chris, the neck is pretty tight. With that fretboard, binding and the shark inlays, reminds me of some of the higher end Ibanez necks. :headbang1:

Well, it's been a while since I've posted and I have 3 guitars in flight beyond Bertha so time has been stretched.  But here's my girl...

She is a screamer - I've had to really work the controls to get a tone that was fat and resonant at lower frequencies.  The chambered body has made a huge difference in weight and I am in LOVE with the neck and the satin finish on the tiger-striped maple.  We've got family in town next week and my brother is a guitar tech/luthier as well (with a helluva lot more experience than I in setups) and I've got some questions on the schaller tremolo and how it should be configured...

Two of the three pups have the Triple Shot rings (Seymour Duncan) installed with the pups, and the neck and bridge both have pull up injectors with the tone knobs (pull up; in comes that pup; down is just the super switch controls).  The Custom Shop Pearly Gates strat sized H-pup is really pretty sounding and the dynamics are extremely good.

I am only just the slightest bit disappointed in the amount of dye that made it on the top (I wanted to see more of the quilt but it's still gorgeous) but then I look at it again and realize that I'm just being a beeatch and should shut it.  :icon_jokercolor:

When the knobs are replaced and the inlay is made on the headstock, it'll be complete.  I may enter it into GOTM July without the inlay....
Thanks everyone for your kind words and adulation - it's gratifying and appreciated (Esp because the lions share of the credit belongs to Warmoth).

Attachments

• bertha_almostdone_small.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 617
That is an awesome looking guitar!  :eek:ccasion14:
Absolutely love that neck.  The guitar stork should be bringing my newborn tomorrow, and seeing yours together has got me super stoked to get rolling and tear into it.  Nicely done on your selections  :guitaristgif:

I don't know how this got by me originally but I think it's great. I like the W headstock and the sharkfin inlay. I also like how the tuners look on this guitar. Overall a really good looking guitar.

Back