My Ultimate Bass

selowitch

I want to talk about a vision I have for my Ultimate 4-String Bass, even though I doubt I'd be able to do this even from neck and body blanks from Warmoth. This is how I see it:

• medium scale (32") maple neck and 24-fret maple fingerboard (not birdseye) with a very flat fingerboard radius, graphic reinforcement rods, rounded back, and a taper not quite as dramatic as a J-bass.
  • Clear gloss finish and the smallest stainless steel frets practical for a bass. Corian nut. Black side markers only, no face dots. Gotoh GB7 tuners. Tele-styel head.
  • No neck plate but instead countersunk screws with nuts with circular cavities around them to make room to insert and turn a nut driver
  • undersized double-cutaway body patterned on the original Stu Hamm Urge bass (not the Urge II). EMG-PJ pickups in white.
  • White pearl pickguard (with cutout for the P pickup but not the J, chrome control plate and white strat-style volume-volume-tone knobs. TK 4-string thru-body bridge. Contoured heel.
  • Finished in seafoam green nitrocellulose with a clearcoat on top

Can I get some reactions to this idea? I know it's a longshot and would probably cost me a lot of money, but what a sweet playing instrument this would be. Plus it would spare my bad back. Traditional long-scale basses aren't so fun for me to play.

Cool idea. I don't think Warmoth is the way to go here. They could do the body for you, I am sure with the cutaways the way you want them.
But I'm pretty sure they can't do the 32" scale neck, and I know (because I recently called to ask about it) they can't do a different radius on the neck then the one that's listed on the site - 10", I believe.
There is never harm in calling and asking them, tho!

Best of luck.

Back