my style...Neck/Body Miss matches? Few answers found in Search

DustyCat

I want to go the Tele Thinline route for a Thunderbird-Phoenix-like Sun-Riding-Sitar beast of my next guitar.  :party07:
Tele headstock a little weak and lacking proper feral attitude in my book... :evil4:

Thinking more along the lines of a bird beak: Jackson or Explorer headstock?

As I understand it Explorer is flat and Jackson is angled?
Are either compatible with a tele body?
Twist it one step further...Scalloped neck with 1 3/4" string spacing compatible as well?
If I go scalloped, will those super tall "for almost scalloped feel" frets contribute to "Super Sitar" or just be a nuisance?
How about 24 frets...intonation okay way up there?

I read that angled headstocks give better sustain and eliminate string trees, but I've had bad luck with Jacksons
Please share your Stories

:doh: Oops! My bad!

I didn't realize this was the "completed" section of the forum.
I got inspired from the flame koa

both the explorer and jackson are angled. Both of those should fit just fine in a tele neck pocket, but there will be a small gap that can be covered by the fretboard (assuming that you have 22 or more frets). Scalloped necks are compatible with 1 3/4 inch nut size. I know that they aren't compatible with the wizard contour, and anything smaller than the 6000 frets (unless you go with stainless or gold frets). If you don't know how a scalloped neck feels, I wouldn't find out by buying one. Try to find a fender malmsteen strat to try out. I don't know why intonation would be any worse if you had 24 frets instead of 22. The intonation is set at the bridge and can be improved with an earvana nut, but the earvana nut does not do much to improve intonation that high on the neck. If the intonation on a normal acoustic guitar or 21/22 fret electric doesn't bother you, then don't bother getting the earvana. If you are having trouble setting intonation yourself, there are millions of websites that show you how to do that, so I don't think that should be an issue. What I would worry about is whether you can actually reach the 24th fret on a tele thinline. If you're unsure, pick up a fender tele and reach as far as you can past the last fret to see if reach will be an issue for you.

If you're scalloping, keep in mind that W can't scallop frets 23 & 24.
I'd go stainless steel frets too.
KWS headstocks aren't angled, if that's what you're after.

Epiphone made a Telecaster copy a while back.  I still see them around in used music stores and pawn shops.  I call it a TelePhone.  It has an Explorer-tpe headstock on it.

EpiphoneTele.jpg

Good stuff you guys!

Rockskate4x you covered pretty much everything I was wondering about.
I have heard of intonation problems with 24 frets due to the increased length of the neck. It's interesting that Warmoth doesn't scallop 23 and 24, maybe its just to tight/small.

That "TelePhone" guitar was what I had in mind. I think that is a pretty rad combination.

BTW I am DEF into the best intonation possible, perhaps even True Temperment, which makes me wonder if the Earvana would be compatible or compromising to True Temperment. True temperment with scalloped neck?

I highly doubt it would be possible to combine scalloping & true temperment frets.
If it's possible, it'd be a huge pain in the butt.
tt_whol_lay.jpg

DustyCat said:
I have heard of intonation problems with 24 frets due to the increased length of the neck.

The neck scale doesn't change when 2 more frets are added.  The other 22 don't intonate any better or worse because the fretboard is longer.  

An Earvana nut and True Temperment necks will not work together.  They're both designed to correct the same thing.  The TT neck is almost a perfect fix.  

My phone is being stupid and will not let me quote Autobat, but that fretjob with True Temperment is wild!
I mean, the intonation imperfections could not be any clearer!
I wonder what horns would look like if a smiliar process could be replicated (saxes, trumpets etx.)

But I think for now I will just have to settle for the earvana nut
:rock-on:

I had an earvana nut put on the neck I just received and it does make a difference - if it's any help, I'd recommend it!

Are true temperment frets adjusted for a specific gauge of strings, say 10-46? And if one were to use a lighter or heavier gauge, would the corrections be off?

DustyCat said:
I wonder what horns would look like if a smiliar process could be replicated (saxes, trumpets etx.)
I've played trumpet for about 6 years, and I'm not sure if it would help. We have to listen to what we're playing, since different players have varying intonation accuracy as they go up or down. A whole lot of correcting can be done at the mouth.

And what
Biggus Pickus said:
Are true temperment frets adjusted for a specific gauge of strings, say 10-46? And if one were to use a lighter or heavier gauge, would the corrections be off?

And what about bending?
It seems to me that if one were to bend a string, especially on the 3rd string,from the looks of the irregular squiggily frets from the TT job, the pitch of the string when bent would not be as uniform as if without the TT job. I didn't see Mr. Steve Vai bend any strings with his TT guitar... :icon_scratch:

varying accuracy as they go up or down . . . aaand . . . A whole lot of correcting can be done at the mouth.
[/quote]

that's what she said . . .

B3Guy said:
varying accuracy as they go up or down . . . aaand . . . A whole lot of correcting can be done at the mouth.

that's what she said . . .
[/quote]
Which one of us is the 17 year old?

ok, to be fair i'll be 22 soon and i still manage to throw a "thats what she said" in there every once in a while.

dude, I'm in college right now. my life is one never ending dirty jokefest.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Epiphone made a Telecaster copy a while back.  I still see them around in used music stores and pawn shops.  I call it a TelePhone.  It has an Explorer-tpe headstock on it.

EpiphoneTele.jpg

I tried the "Neck Woods" categoory, but had trouble locating any posts, and much less a "Start new thre" option...(technical difficulties)

I am so pleased that Warmoth offers mahogany for core body, and zebrawood for top/face, and canary maple for necks, but why oh why, does warmoth NOT offer the Earvana nut for Explorer styled necks much less options (no Earvana nut) for Jackson styled headstocks?

My best friend has an Epiphone El Diablo. An odd electric-acoustic with a strat body & explorer neck.
I think it looks better in all black, but it's hard finding pics of this guitar.
EPI-ELDIA-FULL.jpg

Back