My LPS

lp1958

Hi All,

My LPS finally arrived after a 15 week wait.  Definitely worth it.  :)

It has a chambered mahogany body with maple top.  The neck is a 59 roundback also in mahogany with an ebony board and SS6105 frets.

I picked the colour based on similar designs I'd seen in the show case.  My luthier friend does not like the colour at all.  It's a good job it is not his guitar  :)

I really wanted natural lip over bindings but some how I managed to only put natural binding on my order.  :tard:  So that's what I got.  Now I have received it I'm not sure if I would have preferred the lip over or not.  I really like it as it is.  If it had been a Les Paul I would have definitely wanted the lip over, but as it's the double cutaway I'm more than happy.

The neck is pretty tame by you guys standards.  I ordered the Jet black ebony board before I discovered this forum and saw all your wonderfull necks.  With hind sight I may have ordered masacara eboy and hope for as many waves as possible.  Still I think the jet black ebony will look great against the black humbuckers and rings.

I'm going to use gold hardware through out.  I'm not sure to go with gold or amber speed knobs.  For what they cost I'll probably get both and see what I like best.

The wood and finish is flawless.  I really have to take my hat off to Warmoth.  Thank you very much.
What I have noticed is how smooth if feels.  It is going to be a dream to play.  The edge of my Historic 58 Les Paul digs in my arm a little when playing sat down, even though the Warmoth is a very similar profile it feels much smoother and far more comfortable.

Oh, it is nice and light weighing in a 4lb 4 1/4 oz.

The neck is dead straight and I know it is going to be great.

The neck does not fit into the body at the moment, so I'm going to have to do a little carefull sanding.

Anyway here are the pics.  I hope a few of you like it.  Like I say my luthier friend didn't and so far he is the only one that has seen it.

Thank you for reading.
Dave

Body1.jpg

Body2.jpg

Body3.jpg

Body4.jpg

Neck1.jpg

Neck2.jpg

Nice one!  I don't know about your friend; that is one of the most gorgeous finishes I have ever seen.

Amber knobs, methinks...

:glasses9:

i am not a fan of LP's, but i gotta admit, i love that finish.
it looks awesome.

what color hardware are you going for?

Wow, i adore it. Your luthier is crazy! Only thing i'd do differently is throw P90s in there. Whats the finish on the back of the neck? Great color there. Is it a transparent finish? It looks kinda like it.. I sure hope it is  :laughing7:

Good God man!  Have you no compassion for the rest of us? 

What a top!~ (I've not used that expression since old slinky-hips introduced me to her girls at the Madoodah Room!~)

let us know how the neck feels when its bolted on.
I want to do a Bariton LPS and im just a little concerned about how sturdy it is.
(im' sure its fine I'd just like to hear it) :)

I know people worry about the lack of wood in these types of neck pockets, but let me tell you - I had a basswood (very soft wood - and unfinished) star body (made by warmoth) which has almost no wood on the sides and the neck was very solid for 18 years until I dissambled it for firewood ;). That guitar was a total beater guitar that didn't have a case and mainly hung around where ever it ended up - usually leaning against a wall or something. Never had a problem with the neck/body connection. Unless you brutalize the neck (bending the shit out of it like I have done on a particular guitar) you should have no problem at all with it. (Though on my LP neck I've had two screw holes strip on me - which is unrelated to this issue. I just think the guy who made my neck was/is on drugs or something. Just mentioning it because it is possible to have other kinds of problems with bolt on necks).

line6man said:
it looks awesome.

I'm going for gold hardware.  You either love it our hate it.  I think it will look great.
And either amber or gold speed knobs.

nathan a said:
Wow, i adore it. Your luthier is crazy! Only thing i'd do differently is throw P90s in there. Whats the finish on the back of the neck? Great color there. Is it a transparent finish? It looks kinda like it.. I sure hope it is  :laughing7:

Yes both the body and back of the neck are transparent brown.  The body and neck match perfectly although the pictures do not show as such.  The back of the body is more the colour that is diplayed on the neck.

The top is natural to brown burst.  To me the top is gorgous and I am really, really pleased.
When I ordered it my rep said that they do not usually offer this particular colour combination and I think I had to pay a slight upcharge for it.  Before it was delivered I was wondering that maybe I should have gone for a tabacco burst and the natural top may look a bit incipid but now it's here I'm very happy.

Thank you for all your coments.

lp1958 said:
line6man said:
it looks awesome.

I'm going for gold hardware.  You either love it our hate it.  I think it will look great.
And either amber or gold speed knobs.

I think it would look great with gold.  Very classic looking.

Cheers.

I bought cream rings when I ordered the guitar.  But since the pickups (Fralin Humbuckers) are black I might go for black rings.

lp1958 said:
I bought cream rings when I ordered the guitar.  But since the pickups (Fralin Humbuckers) are black I might go for black rings.

Just put it in the hole with no rings to see it you like... :)
But if you will put rings, try this same thing with both, but the white might match better  :dontknow:

have you seen the wood pickup covers at Allparts(?).  the light colored maple or a redish rosewood might look nice.
just a sugestion.
there's a difference between a guitar player and someone who plays guitar.  it may take a while before i go from the latter to the former but the journey will be interesting.

lcp2 said:
have you seen the wood pickup covers at Allparts(?).  the light colored maple or a redish rosewood might look nice.
just a sugestion.
there's a difference between a guitar player and someone who plays guitar.  it may take a while before i go from the latter to the former but the journey will be interesting.

No I haven't seen them, but I will definitley check them out.

Thank you very much for the suggestion.
Maple might just be the ticket.  Do you think the radius will fit suit the warmoth LPS?

Back