My latest project (Carved Top Soloist build)

kennslp

Hey all, just sharing the results of the most recent project. I had promised myself that I'd cool it on the new projects, as I've recently acquired a couple of long-desired guitars, but hey, projects are fun! Honestly, I play my Warmoth (and other parts) builds more than my 'manufactured' ones. Anyway, pics first!

20240629_163121.jpeg
20240629_163132.jpeg
20240629_163214.jpeg20240629_162929.jpeg20240629_171132.jpeg20240626_120648.jpeg20240629_171153.jpeg

I've gotta say, this build has turned out incredibly well! I love the look and playability of the guitar. Its very light, and the Soloist body is a joy to play (my main guitar is a Jackson Archtop Soloist). Details:

- Warmoth Carved Top Soloist body. Flame maple over Mahogany.
- Warmoth flame maple neck w/ Madagascar Ebony fretboard. Wolfgang profile, 1 11/16 nut width, Stainless 6100 frets. Arizona Turquoise inlays.
- Pickup is an Anderson H2+ (my fav!). Volume is 500k CTS, tone is 500k push-push to split the humbucker (I needed 'some' variety', lol).
- OFR, R3 nut. Hipshot tuners.

As I said, I am totally loving this thing. My only complaint (besides some issues w/ initial setup) is the fretboard lost some of its contrast after it was oiled. Here's what it looked like prior:
20240528_115347.jpeg

But that's not really an issue at all. Thanks for letting me share!

-K

Beautiful build!! Especially love that natural mask binding around the neck join. Btw, is that transparent blue over the back? I'm planning my next build to be transparent purple over roasted swamp ash on the back... I know it will be dark and that's what I want. I'm thinking mahogany is kinda close to RSA in luminance, so your pic is useful in gauging what that will look like (probably a bit darker than blue over mahogany). You're really tempting me on the carved top, too :love:

That's a good question. I don't actually know, as I bought it used. I simply saw it and fell in love, lol. I ordered the neck to somewhat 'match' the body.

-K

Beautiful build!! Especially love that natural mask binding around the neck join. Btw, is that transparent blue over the back? I'm planning my next build to be transparent purple over roasted swamp ash on the back... I know it will be dark and that's what I want. I'm thinking mahogany is kinda close to RSA in luminance, so your pic is useful in gauging what that will look like (probably a bit darker than blue over mahogany). You're really tempting me on the carved top, too :love:
To answer your question about the color: I'm not 100% sure. I didn't order it directly, but it seems your thought is probably correct. (Trans blue over black).

-K

Reactions: u.9
The top is definitely Aquamarine Dye and the available options for the back include Transblue so I would definitely say its transblue on the back.

Reactions: u.9
Back