my guitar trading deal (non Warmoth)

mrpinter

My last three electric guitars have been Warmoth builds, and they all have 1-11/16" necks. So the 1-5/8" neck on my 92 Hamer T-62 that I swore I'd never sell has started to feel a bit narrow to me. It's just a sixteenth of an inch - you wouldn't think it would make that big a difference - but it's quite noticeable to me. And I have come to realize that a lot of why I like it so much is because of how it looks (especially that crazy nice birdseye AND flamey neck and pau ferro fingerboard). So I put a FS ad on a couple of the other guitar forums, thinking that if I got my price I'd have enough to do another nice Warmoth build. I was planning on one of the 7/8 S bodies, btw. So when I got an email from a forum brother asking if I would consider a trade, I initially didn't think I was the least bit interested. But wait! The respondent is a custom luthier. Hmmm. And when I asked him what he had in mind, he sent me some photos of potential trades. Bells went off in my head. This looks like seriously nice stuff. He told me he's a Hamer fan and has never owned a T-62, so he was willing to trade me something that he sells for more than I was asking for the Hamer. Whoa, sweet!

Here is the Hamer:

HamerT-62front.jpg

and notice the neck:

HamerT-62back.jpg

And here is the body he's going to finish for me to my specs:

image-6.jpeg

That paint is real nitrocellulose btw. It's getting finished with an all maple clear gloss neck, black pickguard loaded with Lollar Blackface pickups, Hipshot hardware, and so on. And he's making it with a copy of the T-62 Hamer headstock shape (Hamer's closed so we don't see any trademark infringements).

I'll be getting it in 40 to 60 days - depending on how long it takes the nitro lacquer to cure sufficiently. I'm kind of excited about it.

I did a little Google sleuthing, and didn't find anything but positive reports about this shop's work, but since I'm kind of taking a chance I'm not divulging the name of the luthier or his shop. If you can't stand it, PM or email me and I'll share.

Just for fun, here is another of his guitars (this one finished) that he would have put up for the trade. Nice, huh?

a27cbb70-c8f7-47c6-8d57-aa6e98cf9243.jpg

I might have gone after that one, but I already have a 72 Thinline with hum cancelling p'ups, and I'm not going to have an S type guitar  :icon_smile:

I saw the for sale ad on one of the other forums and noticed it was probably you.

I also have a Hamer, and so was curious what sort of price / trade they go for. I don't want to sell mine but it's interesting to see what the values may be.

Look forward to seeing your new acquisition.

While Hamer guitars are up a little right now, probably do to FMIC stopping production, I believe that they are a generally undervalued for their quality.
That's a great looking T-62, and a damn good price.
GLWTS

Back