My first Warmouth build.

bassetman

My first Warmouth and first Strat build. Swamp ash chambered with wenge and bubinga neck and sperzel tuners. SD little 59 neck and bridge with a duckbucker in the middle. I meant to do a dyed orange burst but the wood was so nice I left it natural. Final nut and fret work still to go and it’s better than my Fender by a fair margin....the burnished neck is Devine.

Now I have two problems...I still don’t have an orange burst Strat....and I don’t have a Tele at all.....what to do? ;)
dTpUNet.jpg

4O7xLMh.jpg

effHCG5.jpg

ix8AHLY.jpg

cLz2ksR.jpg

Thanks. I’ve built a lot of guitars but caught the Strat bug late in life. After fussing with set necks for 30 years I like bolting it on. :turtle: it has already paid its keep in its first three gigs. The hard part will be sending the neck to Cagey for the final fret and nut work. My Fender Standard is getting dusty and will be sold soon.

Beautiful guitars!

bassetman said:
Now I have two problems...I still don’t have an orange burst Strat....and I don’t have a Tele at all.....what to do? ;)

Kill two birds with one stone - do an orange burst Tele. Or, better still, do candy tangerine. Warmoth's version of that is sooo beautiful. Pictures don't do it justice. A Tele with the forearm and belly cuts in candy tangerine, a black Ebony fretboard on a roasted Maple neck with stainless frets...Mmmm....

I like your thinking. A lot. I prefer to do my own finishes....I complain less when I put the blemish, bug, piece of cat hair..,ect. In myself. I like to work with dyes rather than colored top coats. Thinking swamp ash and korina Tele with the orange. I will check out warmouths colors.

Warmoth has a law against blemishes, bugs and cat hair, just so you know  :icon_biggrin:

For what they charge and how good they are, unless you really can't find a finish they do that works for you or you have a real animosity for polyurethane, it's pretty tough to justify doing your own finish. I do finishes, but only when I don't have a choice or somebody's paying me. Warmoth's not only set up for it, the finish is superior, and they're liable for it.

But, whatever floats your boat.

Swamp Ash over Korina is gonna be pretty, but heavy as sin. May want to consider getting that chambered.

Cagey said:
Warmoth has a law against blemishes, bugs and cat hair, just so you know  :icon_biggrin:

For what they charge and how good they are, unless you really can't find a finish they do that works for you or you have a real animosity for polyurethane, it's pretty tough to justify doing your own finish. I do finishes, but only when I don't have a choice or somebody's paying me. Warmoth's not only set up for it, the finish is superior, and they're liable for it.

But, whatever floats your boat.

Swamp Ash over Korina is gonna be pretty, but heavy as sin. May want to consider getting that chambered.

+1.

I am of the opinion that, "you have to really love the paint process which includes all the pre-&-post work" otherwise, it's cheaper to have it done professionally with stellar results.

Painting is the one thing in the luthier skill that I absolutely hate doing, with the exception of a simple Tru-Oil finish over exposed wood.  That's as much as I'll ever do anymore, and only on an exceptional piece.

Thanks for the comments. The Candy tangerine does look quite enticing. Hoping to put a few into the guitar of the month soon.

Back