My first Warmoth Strat completed!

tt0511

Guys, thanks so much for all the help that you provided on this build.  It's a great community here and this was my first Warmoth build and homemade finish.  Did all the work myself, and that is rewarding!

For anyone doing a Tru-Oil finish, I don't think it can be stressed enough to put coats on thin.  In fact, it's actually kinda hard to get it on thin enough!  Thin enough to avoid lap marks.

This turned out pretty good.  The finish doesn't look quite professional but no one but a trained eye would notice.  If I had it to do over again I'd probably stick with 3-4 coats of tru-oil to get the results on the headstock.  It looks nice and oiled with the pores showing and looking natural.  The 6 coats on the body leaves it somewhere between that and gloss, but still looks good.  Just between that natural look and a glossy finish.

All I gotta do now is find a switch tip to match the knobs.  I'm calling it done for this one.

Goncalo Alves neck wood
Ebony fingerboard
Goncalo laminate top on the body
Mahagony body wood
Schaller mini locking tuners
Dimarzio FastTrack2 bridge, Cruiser Neck in middle, Pro Track in neck position
Hardware from a mexican strat
Painted pickup cavities black and painted pickup screws black.

Sounds great and plays great.  I set the intonation, bridge saddle height and adjusted the neck bow slightly.  I've set the action moderately low and there's only slight buzzing that doesn't get heard through the amp, so the neck is pretty good direct from Warmoth.  At least as good as a store bought fiddle.  They all require some setup work to be their best.  Now I have to save up money to get the Plek setup!  She'll kill then.  Anyway, here's the final pics.  With my camera, they certainly don't do justice to this thing.  Wish it wasn't raining outside so I could get some outdoors pics.  Oh well, ha ha.

FinishedStrat001.jpg

FinishedStrat002.jpg

FinishedStrat003.jpg

FinishedStrat004.jpg

FinishedStrat005.jpg

FinishedStrat006.jpg

FinishedStrat007.jpg

FinishedStrat008.jpg

FinishedStrat009.jpg

Here's a funny little factoid about that GA body: I actually bought it, but Warmoth made a mistake and didn't place it with my order. In that lapse of like a day you were able to get it.

Hehe but I gotta be honest, looking at that is a bit of an ouchie for me. I would have given it 2 humbuckers and a Wilkinson and it would have been sooo much better. Of course, those are my sour grapes talking ;)

Good score with that one and I hope you have many, many hours of enjoyment with it :)

Zaman said:
Here's a funny little factoid about that GA body: I actually bought it, but Warmoth made a mistake and didn't place it with my order. In that lapse of like a day you were able to get it.

Hehe but I gotta be honest, looking at that is a bit of an ouchie for me. I would have given it 2 humbuckers and a Wilkinson and it would have been sooo much better. Of course, those are my sour grapes talking ;)

Good score with that one and I hope you have many, many hours of enjoyment with it :)

Well, sorry about your trouble mate.  That kinda sucks.  I'm sure you'll find another one on their website that will be very similar if you really want the GA.  I don't agree with your opinion that 2 hum's would make it better, especially considering that it currently has 3 humbuckers in it.  Never had a Wilkinson tremolo but I'm looking to swap this one out for a better unit.  The current hardware is just all I had at the time, and unlike other folks, I'm not made of money.

Back