My first Warmoth-project

Oyvind

Here are some pictures of my first Warmoth-project..

WarmothSolo-c.jpg

Warmoth-Pensaprosjekt012.jpg

Warmoth-Pensaprosjekt043.jpg

Warmoth-Pensaprosjekt048.jpg

Warmoth-Pensaprosjekt076.jpg

Warmoth-Pensaprosjekt093.jpg

Warmoth-Pensaprosjekt123.jpg

Warmoth-Pensaprosjekt164.jpg

My first Warmoth project, I prefer to call it my Warmoth Pensa project. As a huge fan of Mark Knopfler and his music I wanted to build me a guitar similar to his favourite guitar, the PensaSuhr MK1.

And here it is, all Warmoth construction:

Soloist carved top, mahogany with AAA flame maple top, natural masked binding, tobacco burst finish.

Maple neck, with Brazilian rosewood fingerboard, white binding, standard thin contour, 12" radius, 6105 frets, Pensa headstock.

Schaller Floyd Rose locking system, all hardware in gold.

EMG SA/SA/89 pickups

I'm very, very satisfied with the result, it looks, feels, sounds and plays fantastic! A huge success! Thank you Warmoth!

I'm looking foreward to my next Warmoth project...   :icon_smile:

Feb 2007

Oyvind Storhaug
  Norway

That's a very unique look. I'm surprised that I actually like the white pickups and binding.

What did you put inside the pickup routs?

Wow, that's possibly the nicest semi-shredder guitar I've ever seen. I love that neck especially. Congrats and enjoy.

Nice!  I remember seeing your build in the gallery.  I've always wanted to build a Pensa MK.  Who did the headstock?  If I build one, I think I'll just go with the Warhead shape, if they still offer it when I'm ready.

It must just be me.. :dontknow: the neck binding looks too white. :icon_scratch: as for the rest of it... :hello2: :blob7: :hello2: :blob7: :hello2: bloomin' marvellous!

Beautiful Guitar!  :rock-on:

I thought binding might have been too white on its own...until I scrolled down to the finished product.  The matching pups and selector tip balances it very nicely IMHO.  :kewlpics:

GoDrex said:
That's a very unique look. I'm surprised that I actually like the white pickups and binding.

What did you put inside the pickup routs?

Are you thinking about that black stuff in there... that's shielding paint from StewMac.
I painted the control cavity and the pickup routs, connected them to each other. 3 - 4 coats..

Nice guitar, always liked the PensaSuhr MK.
Check this guy's W/Pensa http://www.youtube.com/user/youske9999
He has posted also on the soloist gallery.

I always wince when I see top-routed guitars with single coils... they usually look so ugly to me... but this looks killer.  Congrats  :eek:ccasion14:  I think you should look for a black or gold humbucker ring though, the cream is sort of strange there....

By the way, shielding the pup routs is probably unnecessary with active pups.  But it can't hurt.

dbw said:
I think you should look for a black or gold humbucker ring though, the cream is sort of strange there....

I agree, I think I'd mount to the body and go without a mounting ring.  However, a cream mounting ring is the way Pesna has been building them:

marco_mk_3_large.jpg

The original was like this:

pensa-suhr.jpg

Cool, well if you're trying to replicate that guitar you nailed it.  :icon_thumright:

Yes, there you have it, the original.
As you can see, John Suhr (who built this guitar) has installed the humbucker in a sort of minimalistic way. He has done the humbucker rout without showing the "ears" of the humbucker... that means the humbucker is routed and installed from the backside of the guitar (in the tremolo-spring cavity), and you see just the two height adjustment screws going thru the top. Very nice! :icon_smile: I love that look, but I don't think Warmoth has that kind of humbucker-rout as an option...? So I decided to go for the newer Pensa-look with the cream mounting ring for my guitar.

Back