My first Warmoth Jazz bass.

line6man

Epic Member
Well guys, I built this one a while back, but i never posted it in the gallery because the body is a Squier, so it's not a "true" Warmoth.
Max says that he thinks i should post this, so if it doesn't belong here, blame him for it. :icon_jokercolor:

This is sort of my beater bass, but here are the specs:

Warmoth Jazz bass neck
Birdseye Maple neckback, finished in vintage tint gloss
Goncalo Alves fingerboard, 21 "fret" fretless
Lined and inlayed with black dots
Epoxy coating done by Sam Horn of Don't Frettt Custom Fretless Polymer Conversions (very flat radius)
Bone nut
Schaller BML tuners (Chrome)
Vintage round string retainer (Chrome)
Squier Agathis body, originally from a VMJ Fretless
Warmoth 0.09" B/W/B pickguard, no neck pickup route
Custom made Curtis Novak humbucker. (Explained in this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489552)
Squier bridge
'62 3 hole control plate
500K audio taper volume
500K linear taper tone (It used to have a push/pull bypass switch, but for right now i had to use the pot in another bass)
SPDT mini toggle Series Humbucker/Single Coil Jazz pickup switch
Switchcraft mono 1/4" output jack
Squier neckplate right now, eventually another plate from Doug
Dunlop Straplocks (Chrome)
Homemade Poplar thumbrest

3513259567_61afc5323b.jpg

2700108172_8ff4b6b58c.jpg

2699292261_67db1a8529.jpg

I still love it!
Maybe some other time, when you've got some money to burn, you could get a nice swamp ash body for that, still tobaccoburst. Then, you won't need to worry about any sanding of the neck pocket or control panel area.

How would you describe the sound of this bass comparate to your other JB (with the pau ferro fingerboard) ?

Emile K said:
How would you describe the sound of this bass comparate to your other JB (with the pau ferro fingerboard) ?

Maybe my ear is bad, but honestly they are quite similar.
The epoxy has a slightly brighter more lyrical/singing tone to it, and the Pau Ferro has a slightly woodier tone to it, but it's subtle.
I think it's more pronounced acoustically than amplified.
I think the Pau Ferro tone is all around a bit more refined. I don't know how to really describe it, but the tone is just more balanced and nicer sounding. Not necessarily a brighter or warmer thing, just a "sounds better" thing.

That could easily be the affect of the whole instrument though.
This bass has a crappy neck joint (Squier body's neck pocket is wider than the Warmoth neck, so it's not very snug) and the body is cheap Agathis plywood. Also, the bridge isn't the best in the world, and i really need a new nut pretty soon, because the guy that cut that one did a terrible job.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Max said:
...still tobaccoburst.

Tobacco Burst shouldn't have any black in it.  Granted this isn't a Warmoth finish, but I'd call it 3-tone burst or black-red-yellow burst.
Yep. 3-tone. That or Tobacco would look good, I think. Tobacco might match the neck better.

A lot of thanks, Line6man ! I know how difficult it is to describe sound with words, but I think you did it very well.

NICE neck - and *I* wouldn't worry about what anyone says about the body......EXCELLENT beater bass 
icon_wink.gif

At the request of a guy on TalkBass that liked the bass, I tried to get some better pics. :blob7:
4577116198_bd749a9795_b.jpg

4577125522_166c859882_b.jpg

4576500797_6ca450e9a1_b.jpg

4576509333_040ff52da7_b.jpg

4577146858_2f6f0a2be6_b.jpg

Back