My first Warmoth guitar just might look like this...

anorakDan

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2109321377945&set=a.1483420770821.2068878.1392910365&type=1&theater

Next week, I should be having my final interview for a really, really good job. I'm 95% confident that I'll be hired. (I hope I haven't jinxed it by talking about it.)
This job should provide me with an income level I haven't seen in a number of years. If that happens, I want to place my order for the parts to make my version of the Brutal Legend Flying V, using (what else?) Warmoth parts.

Here's the rundown:
Body-Warmoth V in alder, black gloss finish.
Neck-Warmoth V, 24.75 scale in padouk, pao ferro fingerboard, ss 6105 frets, black TUSQ nut (1.75"), 59 Roundback profile, creme dots and skull & X-bones at the 12th fret.
Pickguard is white pearloid.
Pickups SD Phat Cats (or maybe a GFS Dream 90 at the neck and a Mean 90 at the bridge.)
Gotoh 510 bridge.
Tuners are from CB Gitty: https://www.cbgitty.com/cubecart/index.php?_a=product&product_id=144
but they're only $14.99 so I suspect I'll have to swap the heads out onto a better tuner, probably Schallers.
The knobs are chrome UFO Angry Skull from Q-Parts
Switch knob is a Red Hot from MJ
Output jack will be a standard Strat type on the inside of the lower bout.
The leg rest will be a custom made padouk piece that will be held by 2 hex head machine screws.
The neck will bolt on with machine screws into threaded inserts. (Thanks for the tip, Cagey!)
Straplocks will be chrome FIrewheels by Q-Parts.
The tribal designs will be painted with One Shot by a great pinstriper I know.

I think that about wraps it up. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Since the builder won't go to this level of detail, I whipped the drawing up on Corel Draw with a little background still from Brutal Legend I swiped from the internet. I've been lusting over this now for several weeks, and I can't wait to get to work on it. It should run me about $1,275 +/-.

Whaddya think?

I can't see the image from what I'm assuming are privacy limitations.

Just from looking it over, I would just say have you thought about bloodwood for a neck and not padouk? Just making sure that you know padouk fades from its beautiful red color to a rich brown with time. Not a bad thing, but might not be what you are looking for. Bloodwood tends to stay a nice red.

Otherwise, it sounds awesome! I am a closet V fan and would love to build one, but just for the guilty pleasure of having one.

rapfohl09 said:
I can't see the image from what I'm assuming are privacy limitations.

Just from looking it over, I would just say have you thought about bloodwood for a neck and not padouk? Just making sure that you know padouk fades from its beautiful red color to a rich brown with time. Not a bad thing, but might not be what you are looking for. Bloodwood tends to stay a nice red.

Otherwise, it sounds awesome! I am a closet V fan and would love to build one, but just for the guilty pleasure of having one.

I checked on the folder on FB, and opened the guitar folder up for everyone to see, so maybe now, if you try, it will be visible. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to resort to Photobucket or something like that.

I hadn't thought about bloodwood. I'm aware that the padouk will fade in color and it wasn't really a big deal, but I have time to rethink this project.

Thanks for the input!

I think it's a bit too busy looking... But if you like, that is what matter!!

Now it's working the pic...
Think about Bloodwood!

Checked out the bloodwood on the Warmoth site, and I think it's a great idea. They don't seem to offer it right now in the builder, though...maybe soon.

If Bloodwood isn't in the body builder, it could be oversight and it could be intentional.  Some woods are too oily for a good scarf joint.  Rosewood and Goncalo Alves come to mind.

I hadn't thought about that... I think I'm really okay with the color change on the padouk. How bad could it look anyway? It'll gradually contrast less with the pao ferro f/b.

I did a quick update of the illustration.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2112117047835&set=a.1483420770821.2068878.1392910365&type=1&theater

Looking for opinions: white pickup rings or chrome?

Also, any thoughts on the Seymour Duncan Phat Cats vs. the GFS 90s?

Thanks for your feedback!

That'll be a screamer. FWIW, I like the white rings for just enough contrast to the pickups and pickguard. I'll look forward to seeing this one done.

anorakDan said:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2112117047835&set=a.1483420770821.2068878.1392910365&type=1&theater

Pretty cool!

anorakDan said:

I have never used GFS but my Tele has the Phat Cats and I love the sound of them.

anorakDan said:

I really dig the graphics on it - the skull and crossbones inlay isn't my personal cup of tea, but this isn't my guitar.  Or my tea.  :)  I would personally go with chrome rings over white, but moreso just pick whatever marries it to your hardware better.

Thanks, Corey. The graphics are my version of what the "original" has. I could only find a couple of screenshots online, so I worked those up. We'll see what my pinstriper actually delivers. This guitar might just need a strap like the Tat Strat is going to get.

But that's still down the road a little.

That looks like a kick ass V, love the tuners.... :headbang1:

Would look pretty sweet with the background dragon on a neck plate...nudge..nudge...wink...wink...
naughty2.gif

DangerousR6 said:
That looks like a kick ass V, love the tuners.... :headbang1:

Would look pretty sweet with the background dragon on a neck plate...nudge..nudge...wink...wink...
naughty2.gif

Hmmm, I hadn't thought of a custom neckplate.....NOT!

I was thinking along the same lines actually. Maybe not the mirrored design, but one of them. Or just the head of the dragon...

That background design was actually one of the first thoughts for the red tribal ones, but I got to looking at the image of the box art I found on the web, and the designer in me said "you can make them closer to the 'original'"

But on the neckplate would be really cool.

Thanks for reaffirming my idea!

Yes, just one dragon was my thinking, my full thought process didn't make it to my fingers... :toothy12:

A quick update:

I have an interview at 1:00 pm on Monday. Third interview's the charm, right? I get this job and I'm a lot closer to my first Warmoth!

Back