My first sunburst

GitDiv

This is my first stab at a sunburst.

Used RIT powdered dye in denatured alcohol. Scarlet and Golden Yellow.

Just has a vinyl sealer by Behlen on it now. Probably will darken and blend the outside edge.

Plan on using LMI's KTM-9 waterbased clear gloss finish.

MyPRSKit-finishingstain-phase2007.jpg

-Dave

WHOA  :eek: :eek:

Really top-shelf finish, man!  Nice work!  I see this is going to be a set-neck... did you build this project from scratch?

VERY classy.  :glasses9:
It may be the lighting, but t looks a little darker right before the edges...is that why you said you were going to darken and blend the outside edge?
Not a criticism at all...that guitar is beautiful  :rock-on:

Thanks guys.

dbw:  It's a kit that my 3 daughters bought me for my 62nd birthday. It's from BYOG.com. They paid $200.00 for it. Lots of tear-outs on the back, and the Mahogany was pieced together on an odd angle. Would much rather to have had a Warmoth VIP, but beggars can't be choosers. It will be a challenge to make it look good. I love challenges, though. We'll see.

MUYFUE: It's actually masking tape from masking the binding. I hate scraping binding. I was able to just use a little sandpaper after I pulled the tape, and it turned out pretty even. I just want a little more difference in shade for the transition between dark to light.

-Dave

Well that top looks great, a first rate finish.
Yeah, the back is a little odd...but so am I!  :icon_jokercolor:
Keep us posted.

Nice color!  Are you going to do the back in a pigmented color to hide the glue join?

Beautiful job on that top!  :glasses9:
Hard to believe it's your first.  Please keep us posted with future pics...
:kewlpics: :rock-on:

From your album captions it looks like you're doing some contouring on the back, followed by a brown/red opaque.  This looks like a great project!

Impressive.................good stuff !!!

Did the glue-on neck came with the body ?

Staining the back will probably enunciate the difference of the jointed pieces.  If you use a dark tinted laquer, the colour will come out more even.

Yeah, the neck, body, electronics and hardware came with the kit. At $200.00, I can't complain at all.

I had some Grover tuners laying around, and I'm going to buy a Schaller roller bridge from LMI w/ string-thru set up in lieu of that non-adjustable bridge/tailpiece that came with it. I'm going to do all the finishing before I do any drilling, which is just the opposite of what most people would do.

I plan to tint the finish with a Dark brown/red, and take it pretty dark to make that seam less apparent.

In the future, I may install a MIDI setup from an old Casio PG-380 my brother has. If I do, I'll cut out where a spring cavity would be to place the electronics, and that would hide a lot of the skewed seam. We'll see. I have to measure to see if it will work.

-Dave

Here's the color I mixed for the back. Like I said on the Tips-n-Tricks post, the color will be darker over Mahogany.  

-Dave

P.S.
      I highly recommend the Behlen Vinyl Sealer. It's easy to use and allows you to quickly see what the finish will look like. It's the first time I've used any of their products....Good Stuff. :cool01: 

Back