Ebony full scallop fingerboard
6115 stainles frets
24 fret extension
Grover 18:1 ratio locking rotomatic tuners
tusq xl nut

Double battery box
EMG 85 bridge pu
EMG 81 neck pu
(not a misprint the 81 is the neck and 85 is the bridge, try it out and you will understand why)
Because this was a prototype I did alot of mods to it to test out various tone configurations.
The switches from left to right are
1) 18volt / 9volt toggle
2) Mid boost for neck pick up (for leads)
3) master gain boost set to 6 db boost
4) phase inverter
5) standard / reverse selector for the kill switch button
6) Kill switch
7) mater volume
The master tone on the left is a push pull that disconnects the batteries when i leave it on the stand.

Only issue I had with the build was a high fret on 22nd fret. It came that way from warmoth but after the fret dress and some filing it was fine.

Over all tone:
The basswood body has a sort of natural filter effect to it. It does not resonate all the super low or super highs but leaves a strong fundamental note.
It has excellent sustain and a real growl to it. on stage it sits in the front of the mix.
The fast palm muting and metal type riffs sound amazing, its like each pluck punches like a machine gun.

Now that I have built it and played a few shows on it I am ready to build my second one and do a quilted maple top and make it look nicer.
Also I am gonna ditch the phase invert becuase its not needed on this guitar like it is on some of my les paul style guitars.
I am also going to lose the 9/18volt selector and run it 18volts the whole time.

That's a very fun looking project. How did you do the mid-boost? And is that tape on your fretboard? In any case it looks very cool...

That's a very nice guitar man, basswood is so underrated imho

Would you mind showing some bigger pictures please :glasses9:

rockskate4x said:
That's a very fun looking project. How did you do the mid-boost? And is that tape on your fretboard? In any case it looks very cool...
The fret board has vinyl stuff on it that is used for racing stripes on newer cars.

The mid boost is an EMG pa2 gain boost with a Notch filter mod that I did myself.
It rolls out from 200hz down and from 2k up which leaves you with the mids and the "note" that get boosted with the PA2.
It clears up the high static and overtones on higher gain distortion and gets rid of the woof and mud on the bottom.
It really makes the leads cut through and move up front with out being harsh.

exaN said:
That's a very nice guitar man, basswood is so underrated imho

Would you mind showing some bigger pictures please :glasses9:

I agree Basswood is underrated, its only downside is that its soft and dents easy but it has a real clean and pronounced tone when you use it with a maple neck.

I will see what I can do about the bigger pics

4564539105_4847c9e15a_o.jpg

4564530757_a13a243788_o.jpg

thats a little better i guess but I will try to get some non-camera phone shots

I know you were working on this as a prototype and you have now encompassed some of those switches into push/pull pots, but are you keen to post up a schematic?

I like to do all my prototyping in front routes, with all the switches and knobs in the pickgurad, so that it can be returned to Normal in the future,  I got a pickguard arround here somewhere with like 14 switches in it.

But, A rear route is probably a better proto-typing setup because it's easier to get in and make mods and add delete stuff

OzziePete said:
I know you were working on this as a prototype and you have now encompassed some of those switches into push/pull pots, but are you keen to post up a schematic?

Schematic for all the controls are some of them in particular?

Back