my first neck, maple and fretboard ziricote or figured ziricote ?

harsan

hi guys,

I want to make my first Warmoth neck maple and fingerboard ziricote or figured ziricote.
What do you think of the sound and sustain?

Now my problem is:

Under Ziricote fingerboard in Unique choice, the boards are only Ziricote or Ziricote figurated ? this is what I do not understand because are only  ziricote in unique choice. The woods Warmoth are so nice but I do not know which of these Ziricote in the FBxxx list is only Ziricote or Ziricote figurated. Pardon for my questions . Can you help me to understand ?

example

this FB are ziricote or ziricote figured ?
FB1626a.jpg

I would not look to the fretboard wood to hinder sustain much.  You've got a Maple neck, that along with bridge type, scale length, # of and how strong the magnetic pull of your pickups are will effect that more than the fretboard wood.  I'm convinced the neck wood is the biggest influence on how woods effect an electrified instrument.  I've seen and heard the same info you probably have about how body woods, top woods, and fretboard woods flavor a sound.  Sure they do, but how much?  Gain, effects, and EQ make all those things less influential.  Other than the straight ahead guessing correctly odds, I have yet to hear anyone correctly identify the fretboard wood on an audio recording (yes, I've seen the YouTube vids of different fretboards on Strats).  My opinion aside, Ziricote as a fretboard wood has its critics based on sound.

As for the Ziricote, it's pretty either way.  Even a bland piece of Ziricote is striking.  If the ones you're seeing are in the Unique Choice section, there you go.  You're seeing what you're getting, minus how they choose to orient it and loss for mounting/sanding.  Let your eyes and pocket book be your guide.

I'm not sure what they mean by "figured" Ziricote, either. I've not seen any that I'd describe that way. Usually, "figured" woods include grain features that don't normally show up in the majority of the cuts, such as "quilting", "curling" (flame), or "birdseye". Not all woods can or will exhibit those features, but those that do generally command a premium price.

If you look at some examples of Ziricote, you'll see more wild variations in the grain direction. Perhaps this is what they're talking about. For example...

MPP_Zir.jpg

Also, check out this guitar. It's described as having "highly figured" Ziricote back and sides, but they don't exhibit any of the qualities I typically associate with "figured" woods. However, they do have some highly unusual grain orientations unlike you'd find in any other wood.

Did you check the Showcase to see if there is one already made that you like? You did not mention the style you are after but they had 4 or 5 Strat necks.

Sound and sustain has so much to do with the specific neck. That said it can also be impacted by the body it is mated to. I had a 5A Flame Maple with a high grade Ziticote board that I found way to dark sounding for my liking, I sold it to a friend for his Strat and the thing sounded great on his guitar body and the maple neck that I put with the body I had totally changed it and it became a favorite of mine.

thanks guys for having responded to me. the body of the guitar is a body fender strat plus 1991 a select alder  and on this body I want to put a new neck. I have seen the showcase, but I not know the sounds of the woods associated with the Ziricote. They are very beautiful necks in the show case ziricote based. So knowing maple i'm thinking to make a maple neck and fret board in Ziricote. What do you think?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 502
This is a very subjective personal call. There are certain standards in place to grade wood, but it mainly comes down to what an individual considers to qualify as figuring. A good example of this is curly maple. Some might call light curl "figured," whereas others would not agree unless the curl was strong. What one person calls a AAAAA curl may only be a AAA curl to someone else. Similarly, with ziricote, one might do the same. You need to define your standard of "figure." Ziricote is not known to have much chatoyancy, curl, quilting, birdseyes, burl pockets, etc., but what it does often display is wild grain patterns. The particular piece in the picture you posted is rather plain for what I have seen of the wood. I am not impressed with the grain pattern to call that a figured wood by any stretch of the imagination. The picture Cagey posted, on the other hand, has a much more distorted grain pattern that I would consider figured for that wood.

Cagey :) very nice pattern ...this similar pattern i search in warmoth... but the ziricote figured in unique choice not exist....Exist only ziricote in unique choice :-(

very thank Line6man :) i understand the situation :)

Here's my Ziricote , which were all showcase items  :icon_biggrin:

1st is my favourite  :guitarplayer2: .... sustains for ever .... BUT that could be a number of things on that build.  :icon_scratch:

Ziricote fretboards are very smooth  :icon_thumright:
If your looking for some nice figuring on the fretboard, then Ziricote is a good choice.
Plus a plain coloured body (not that I've gone that way) ... Would blend in well.

Bocote / Ziricote .... Tele SST

2b8cd238.jpg

2b338367.jpg

Imbuia / Zircote .... Strat HXH

file_zpsa7e05a6d.jpg

file_zps743e0eed.jpg

Maple / Ziricote .... Strat SSH

14792681.jpg

780c73e7.jpg

harsan said:
Cagey :) very nice pattern ...this similar pattern i search in warmoth... but the ziricote figured in unique choice not exist....Exist only ziricote in unique choice :-(

very thank Line6man :) i understand the situation :)
The reason that there are two options when choosing a wood in the builder (ziricote and figured ziricote), but then only one in the unique choices, is as follows.

When you are using the builder, they are giving you a choice between "ziricote" and "figured ziricote".

Choosing the first option, "ziricote", will likely result in them grabbing the first piece of ziricote and making your fingerboard out of it. You're taking a chance - it might be very plain or it might be a bit more interesting.

Choosing the second option, "figured ziricote", means they will be grabbing it from a different pile - a pile that they've put a lot of exciting-looking ziricote in. The wood is still the same wood, ziricote, but they've separated out some of the pieces with more interesting grain patterns. You're taking a small chance, because there will be some outstanding pieces and some that are merely "nice". But you'll get a better piece.

To repeat: all ziricote is ziricote - they're not two different types of wood, it's just Warmoth's way of categorising the pieces that they have.

Contrastingly, when you're going to choose your own fingerboard blank, it makes no sense to divide the wood into two categories. It's all ziricote. So, if you're choosing your own piece, they might as well just show you all the pieces and you can go on what it looks like. The piece you choose might be considered by Warmoth to be "figured", or it might not. But this doesn't matter, because that is an arbitrary distinction - what matters is that you're getting a piece of wood that you like the look of.

Thanks guys for the explanation then it's a unique thing among Ziricote and figured Ziricote.

Then I thought of something looking at the showcase to save some money. What do you think of a padauk neck and fingerboard in Ziricote? at the level of wood sound good? Sound light or dark?

I read that the padouk is similar to sound like Maple, and Ziricote is similar to Brazilian rosewood as sound. So come out a good sound?

I saw a video on youtube where there was a guitar with Warmoth neck in padauk and bloodwood fingerboard in and played really well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIfGicvz5v8&feature=share

Back