My drawing build: open for ideas, but fairly certain. Bass VI!!!

Maybe it's not something they want to do, but in concept, putting a Maple veneer on an unfinished exotic should be similar to putting an unfinished wood on a Maple neck.  I'm sure I way oversimplified that.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Maybe it's not something they want to do, but in concept, putting a Maple veneer on an unfinished exotic should be similar to putting an unfinished wood on a Maple neck.  I'm sure I way oversimplified that.

You can make a coat of epoxy or lacquer only on the headstock face... keeping the look of maple and tone and feel of raw wood ;)

Well, it's no secret that I love maple necks and fingerboards so, my opinion on your build, go with the maple. But do it right and get something so flamed that it makes you dizzy looking at it.

As for the bridge....I know Music Man makes a baritone guitar. Head over to their site and see what bridge options they have. It may at least give you a chance to see what a particular bridge looks like. I'm not against the TOM though. Matter of fact, if it was me, instead of the TOM I'd probably go hardtail.

But, this is your build and I'm just tossing out ideas. You gotta build whatever is going to make you happy.

Can't wait to see pics.
MULLY

Here's a photo of Music Man's Silhouette Bass (baritone) guitar.

silhouettebass01.jpg

I don't know what if any intonation problems may occur.  Hopefully a bridge would not be offerered that couldn't be intonated, as it's not a bridge issue, but location issue.  A while back a guy posted a W with Baritone conversion neck that had to have the bridge moved to intonate the low B, however I think  he outsourced the bridge and it wasn't a W option.

******edit******
Found the post.  It wasn't a Baritone neck, it was 25.5" scale 6 string neck with a low B that wouldn't intonate.

As far as the neck wood goes, an exotic bass VI neck would be heavy, and have a good deal of leverage, so you do run a 'neck-heavy' risk.

As for the bridge, as others have pointed out, there are better options in terms of sound, engineering, and tuning stability. For me, function always takes precedence over form. But that's just me.

I look forward to this build!

Wow!  This is same guitar Nigel wouldn't let Marty DiBurgi touch/look at in Spinal Tap.  http://www.marksmart.net/gearhack/lacevi/lacevi.html  This link has a brief audio sample with Lace Pickups and a distant photo of Nigel's Sea Foam? Bass VI.  Very promising project.  I can't imagine a trem would work well with baritone strings though; but how would I know.  Good luck--have fun with the details.  Would it be advised to play this baby through a regular guitar amp?    To hell with authenticity, put a Canary Firebird neck on her.

Cool! I've been putting together a Bass VI from a Jazzmaster body for about 12 months now with the exact same colour scheme and P90-S-P90 config! I guess this is the thread that motivates me to *finally* get it done!

(Yes, i'm a massive Robert Smith/Cure fan  :icon_biggrin:)

JaySwear said:
CrackedPepper said:
Hee's a dumb question - is it a bass or guitar?  Bass body and bridge but "locking Sperzels on my other guitars" and P90s.  Do they make P90s for basses?

yeah, thats my question too. i don't understand this bass VI thing  ???

Thanks for asking this question... I felt like a moron because I didn't understand either. 

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be snobby or elitist.  I thought we were all following Gregg's build and the upcoming Bass VI parts availability in March.  Goes to show what I know!  I've always been a fan since I saw the "Let It Be" sessions when I was younger.

-Mark

Hey, the word on the street, my street anyway, is TT is real close to having p-90's ready to ship soon, I bet he'd love to put his pups in your axe....hmmmm what I mean is he'd love to sell you a pair

Alfang said:
Hey, the word on the street, my street anyway, is TT is real close to having p-90's ready to ship soon, I bet he'd love to put his pups in your axe....hmmmm what I mean is he'd love to sell you a pair

Yeah, I've talked to him.  I'm gonna need 6 P-90s hehe.  Actually, I should harass him as to how much to send him.

-Mark

Yes, I would love to hear this baby as well.
Sounds like a really cool build and I can't wait to see her finished.
Please be sure to post lot's of pics as you are progressing.
Good luck &  :rock-on:

Back