My 2nd Warmoth Strat

guitarman51

This was my second warmoth strat. I originally had a strat style headstock on it and decided to get a different neck entirely to make something a little more unique. I also had the David Gilmour EMG pickups in it but decided I didn't care for the tone I was getting out of it.  I wanted to make it a little more metal looking and sounding.

Neck:
Maple neck and ebony fretboard
Warmoth Straight Headstock (aka the Warhead)
Quilted Maple Peghead Veneer
Emerald Dye w Black Burstover/Clear Stain Back finish
Custom Back Shape Wizard
Stainless Steel Fretwire - SS6105
Abalone Face Dots
Floyd Rose R4 Locking Nut
Chrome Warmoth Metal Decal
Chrome Gotoh SG38 Tuners

Body:
Hollow Strat Body
Emerald Dye Top/Gloss Black Back Finish
Quilted Maple top on an Alder body
Pearloid Laminate Pickguard
Floyd Rose Tremolo
EVH D-Tuna
Seymour Duncan Hot Rails pickup in the neck position
Seymour Duncan Cool Rails pickup in the middle position
Seymour Duncan JB Jr. pickup in the bridge position
Coil tap on the Hot Rails and JB Jr. (I can get the standard strat tones and humbucker super strat tones)

This is how it use to look:

This is in it's current state:

I always thought the Greenburst was an interesting finish, but I was never sure that I would like it in the flesh.  Looking at this fine example, I would have to say,  Whoa!  I really dig the matching headstock, too!

That burst and matching headstock looks like SEX with the ebony board and abalone inlays. It looks thousands times better now. Not even in the same league.

I'm normally not big on green guitars, but that's a beauty!

Nathan A - If you keep on referencing "sex" and wood, we're going to put an ad in the Yahoo Personals for you....

That is an awesome guitar. I love green guitars (I own two... so far) :party07:

MSW- Man seeking Wood

Likes: Sweet and full-bodied beauties with a raw, edgy side waiting to come out. Stunning figure.

Dislikes: Run-of-the-mill, off-the-shelf types with nothing special to fall in love with. Monogamy.

That looks amazing. What a nice build. That Warhead peghead looks perfect. Definately poster material there.....congrats! :icon_thumright:

How'd you score that neck?  I don't see that shape on the site.  Is that an older Warmoth neck?  I'd love to have a neck with a headstock like that on a soloist body.

Phrygian said:
How'd you score that neck?  I don't see that shape on the site.  Is that an older Warmoth neck?  I'd love to have a neck with a headstock like that on a soloist body.

I saw that style peghead in the warmoth showcase once and thought it was really cool looking. So I emailed warmoth to find out what it was called and if it was available for new builds. They told me it was called the "Warmoth Straight" or "Warhead" shape. Just take a strat neck, and then add $45 for that peghead shape and that's what it'll cost you for a new neck. I plan to use that shape for any future strats I build.  It's unique looking but still has a classic shape to it.

Hey Guitarman    I gotta say I love your 2 guitars, the green one especially.  I think you put together such a good looking guitar,  that I look forward to people responding to this thread so that it is again in my unread posts.

I can see you had a clear vision of what you wanted, and it shows in the simpleness of using a black jack plate. and the ebony fretboard helps to set off the general appearance. Maple would not be as good. 

I have spent too much time starring at your guitar, I wanna build one like it, you know what would look awesome, if you could somehow get the same color of green in some kinda perloid or whatever, for the fret markers. Look at the pics and imagine the fret markers in that color of green.

Can't wait to see number 3 from you

Alfang said:
Hey Guitarman    I gotta say I love your 2 guitars, the green one especially.  I think you put together such a good looking guitar,  that I look forward to people responding to this thread so that it is again in my unread posts.

I can see you had a clear vision of what you wanted, and it shows in the simpleness of using a black jack plate. and the ebony fretboard helps to set off the general appearance. Maple would not be as good. 

I have spent too much time starring at your guitar, I wanna build one like it, you know what would look awesome, if you could somehow get the same color of green in some kinda perloid or whatever, for the fret markers. Look at the pics and imagine the fret markers in that color of green.

Can't wait to see number 3 from you

Thanks for compliments on the guitars. I've gone through so many guitars that after I found warmoth, that is the only way I will get a new guitar from now on. I've had high end Gibsons, PRSs, Music Mans, custom shop Peavey Wolfgangs, and custom built Wayne guitars but none of them were exactly how I wanted it. I love being able to decide exactlly what I want and definitely at a fraction of the price of some of the guitars I use to own. They all sound and play better than anything else I've owned.
The black jack plate was actually an accident. I thought I had a chrome one sitting around but I only had a black one and it just happened I liked that look so much more.
I'm currently not having anything built but I've got lots of ideas. I used to own a EVH Music Man and kind of miss it except I wish it had an R4 nut instead an R2 so I want to build a VW with an R4 and get a Flame Koa top on it (there's one in the Warmoth gallery that I want to base my build on). Then I want to build another strat where I'm trying to have something completely different in the look than anything else I've seen people build from warmoth. I kinda want to make it a cross between a super strat and a custom shop soloist I've seen on the jackson website. Just need to save up for it first. I hoping to put in an order in on parts by december.

It pains me to do this but I'm debating on selling this guitar. I'm just not playing it very much. My other strat with the wolfgang back neck contour is just so much more comfortable to play to me. So if anyone is interested in buying this strat let me know. I put over $1700 into this guitar. I would include a hardcase as well for with it.

What a shame, nobody is going to appreciate it as you did. why can't you just get another neck for it and sell the other one on ebay or something?

It looks great by the way.

Thepriebster said:
What a shame, nobody is going to appreciate it as you did. why can't you just get another neck for it and sell the other one on ebay or something?

It looks great by the way.

I thought about another neck but since the headstock has a custom color on it I'm thinking it will be hard to sell. Plus I'm thinking I want to build or buy something different from a strat. I'm thinking about getting something that I can put a piezo pickup in instead.

Back