Mustang wiring help help

spauldingrules

Okay, just pulled the trigger on my Mustang (fender body, warmoth neck).  I want to use one of the switched to select neck/both/bridge pickup and the other for something else like series/parallel or something.  I am mostly concerned with using 1 switch to select the pickups, though.  There are 8 lugs on the back of the switches (see here: http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/parts/parts.cfm?fuseaction=include_switches).  Can I connect the middle ones and treat it like a 6-lug switch?  Or do I need to do something different?  I really don't have use for the phase setting on the original Mustang wiring.

I will be using noiseless single coils (dimarzio virtual vintage) so I don't really need to "split" the pickups, but it would be nice to use the extra switch to put them in series/parallel with one another - is this even possible?

Thanks, and schematics are GREATLY appreciated.

- spaulding

the mustang switches are 2 way switches with center "off" as I recall.

you can have warmoth cut alternate switch things in it though... I think....

=CB= said:
the mustang switches are 2 way switches with center "off" as I recall.

you can have warmoth cut alternate switch things in it though... I think....

Where the switches are located on the Mustang, it would be very uncomfortable putting any other switch, other than a slide switch. Best bet, if using another switch, is to place a usual LP Toggle type switch in the lower bout/horn of the pickguard and use a push pull pot for switching between series/parallel (but be mindful of the depth and size required for that larger pot in the cavity).

Also, if the OP is thinking of using a Jaguar/Jazzmaster switch in place of the Mustang, be aware that the Jaguar/JM switch is a slightly smaller switch and probably won't fit perfectly in a pickguard slot made for a Mustang switch - and I'd doubt that Warmoth would put in the Jag/JM slot in on a Mustang pickguard. (I found this out by trying to put a Mustang switch into a JM and found it too big  :sad: )

Back