Mooncaster #4 Ice Blue

ghotiphry

And with a shipping notice I'm opening a work in progress thread.  The body is on it's way!

Here's my concept mockup:

sTukthS.jpg

The back is gloss clear swamp ash.  I've also got a couple pickup mounts in gloss white, just because...

NC0HHegl.jpg

hfsFov1l.jpg

aDRKT3Zl.jpg

Everything I had hoped for.  Just beautiful.  The dudes have not lost their touch.  Weighs in at 5 lbs 6 oz.  A little on the heavier side than what I had hoped, but I didn't opt for an ultralight.  I can definitely work with that.

Thanks, Doc!

A quick test fit and color evaluation.  I find myself eerily drawn to the black rings.  Bad lighting.

IQQVXZvl.jpg

dRZ1TeSl.jpg

BxijYNvl.jpg

I believe I agree on the black rings. Although, the chrome aren't bad either......... :headbang:

you certainly have an addiction to the Mooncaster.    I am really enjoying the moon caster guitar I built. 

I really like the blue.  Reminds me of Gibson Pelham blue!

Yeah seeing as the rings are completely interchangeable I will slap the black on for now.  Can always swap to aluminum later.  And yes, yes I loves me some moon casters.  This will likely be my last for a while, however.

elstoof said:
How many mooncasters do you have?

This will make #4.  In build order, numbers 1 thru 3:

FP2ss0pl.jpg

2UoAe09l.jpg

07Bh3SXl.jpg

So i was thinking.... blue? I like blue.  Blue is good.  I've got brown covered.

The burl is actually sporting a different neck (qs wenge/qs wenge) and different pickups (TV Jones Power'Trons).  I took the Thunder'Blades for Ol' Blue here.

Wiring harness is completed, more or less.  Going with straight 50s LP wiring on this one.  The Thunder'Blades are supposedly the most warm of TV Jones's bass pickup offerings, and also supposedly the 50s LP wiring allows for more highs.  it's been tested, but just to the point of knowing that it pops when i touch a screwdriver to the pickups.

A few things.  I think my template may be off a bit as the distance from the switch to the neck volume pot is a little tight.  Found that out when trying to fit it in.  I'll need to make an adjustment on that braided wire ground.  I'm also missing the connector for the bridge ground, which was added after the pic was taken and I realized I had forgotten it.  Also, I need to rework the ground on the jack.  It don't fit right.

fhUW19nl.jpg

Very nice. I like the black rings best but my mind wanders to black nickle hardware with that color. It is very "formal", classy,

Wiring harness installed after modifications.

tVmvE0Fl.jpg

Bill, IDK about black nickel, but I always have extra stuff on hand, like black knobs, just because I never know exactly how I feel about a scheme at any given moment.  I like to swap stuff.  Knobs, plates, screws, etc.  Nothing set in stone yet.  Hopefully I get a chance to play around today.  Almost done.

And she's all done.  She plays marvelously.  I think she looks pretty good as well.  I'm extremely pleased, but also a little sad as I enjoy getting there just as much as having the completed bass.

f3Lyvor.jpg

9UuOTFN.jpg

Ft0tUcs.jpg

i3iGPIV.jpg

W8pzXa7.jpg

Wow, that is a beautiful instrument!  Terrific job!  You're making want to build a Mooncaster guitar.

Back