mixing single coil pickup with seymour duncan 'mini-humbuckers'

heavybluesy

So I want to keep my two seymour duncan pickups in my neck and middle (little 59 and cool rails, both of which are single coil sized mini humbuckers), and I want to put a dimarzio area 61 single coil pickup in the bridge. Would this work out? Can the cool rails and area 61 be used in position 4 without phasing issues etc? I am also wondering if the output levels would match. Ideas? Thanks!

The Area 61 is not a single coil pickup, it is a humbucker...

In your case, every position will hum-cancel.

thanks for the schematic, i guess it should work out, i dont really plan on switching tone controls mid song, so I dont see what the problem would be.

I just ordered teh Area 61 to replace my JB JR...my setup will be:

neck: lil 59
middle: cool rails
bridge: area 61

I will let the forum know how it goes.

The important thing is getting the outputs balanced so that the in-between positions are getting the right proportion of signal from each pickup - that's why so many people sell Strat sets, and why it's easy to mess up a "classic" setup by sticking some 16K mongo-overdrive pickup in with the regular ones. I've read of a "10% Rule" - the middle is supposed to be 10% more powerful than the neck, the bridge is is supposed to be 10% more powerful than the middle - but I don't know if it true. Mixing pickups from different manufacturers is always a crapshoot, as they each measure output via voodoo magic and entrail divination... it'll work O.K. eventually but be be prepared to spend some time trading pickups with your friends & neighbors.

I personally don't care for "strat cluck" but if it's important to you quite a few people put mini trimpots under the pickguard and balance the pickup outputs that way. It's real common among the Nashville studio guys with three-pickup Teles, who can't/won't put extra pots on top.
Three concentric pots would give you six different knobs to play with.... :blob7:

Back