Mini HB in Tele Neck spot

Graffiti62

Hey All--

I'm building my dream guitar--a Telecaster, but with a very unique feature. I've ordered a "reverse" neck, and a right-hand body that has the bridge pickup routed in the opposite direction, which will give me the entire left-hand string path. I've never seen anyone else do it, and I'm excited to plug it in. I went all out on the bridge pickup--I invested in a Seymour Duncan Antiquity bridge pickup with the flat pole pieces, and I was planning on installing an antiquity mini-humbucker in the neck. The pickup comes with the unique mounting ring. My question is that if I want to have the ring around the pickup, how should I ask for the scratchguard to be cut?  Should I specify for a mini, or tell them a P-90, due to the fact that the mini's ring was designed to fit into a 90's spot.

Thanks everybody!

Mike

I believe if you want to use that ring, you want a P90 rout in the guitar and in the pickguard. What the heck is a "left hand string path" and a "bridge pickup routed in the opposite direction"?
Do you mean that it'll "sound like a lefty" because the bass strings will be longer than the treble strings (reverse headstock) and bass side of the bridge pup will be closer to the bridge than the treble side?
If so, that's really kind of funny. Hope it sounds good.

tfarny said:
I believe if you want to use that ring, you want a P90 rout in the guitar and in the pickguard. What the heck is a "left hand string path" and a "bridge pickup routed in the opposite direction"?
Do you mean that it'll "sound like a lefty" because the bass strings will be longer than the treble strings (reverse headstock) and bass side of the bridge pup will be closer to the bridge than the treble side?
If so, that's really kind of funny. Hope it sounds good.

Yeah, I think he means like the Hendrix/Voodoo strat, which was basically the same concept, just as a strat.

The mini humbucker comes in two varieties.

*There's the Firebird mini humbucker without the pole pieces, that has a metal pickup mounting surround.

*And there's the LP Deluxe style of mini humbucker, which has pole pieces and fits inside a P90 pickup cover.

Generally, the LP Deluxe style has more ooomph in it.

The pickup does sound like a genuine cross between the single coil and the humbucker.

If you intend getting a pickguard, I don't know that Warmoth rout for the mini humbucker by itself, so you can mount directly onto the pickguard. I previously, a few years back, had to get a pickguard blank in the pickup routs, as I wanted to try out two mini hums. Was told then they didn't rout for the mini hums.

As for the body itself, you'd be best to rout for a P90.

The rectangular shaped, plastic P90 covers that are modified to take a mini humbucker, are available at Allparts. (That's if they don't come with the pickup and you want to use that sort of mounting)

If you use the P90 cover mounting, you have to convert the pickup mounting screws into woodscrews as they have to screw into the body to secure the mini humbucker and the P90 cover into place.

It's easier to fit the mini hum straight into the pickguard, if you can rout your own pickup rout (if Warmoth still don't do it).

Back