Min Wax Grain Highlighting Finish

Heft

Hey,
I've used this to much success on swamp ash, anything special for closed grain woods like poplar or basswood?
Thanks,
Heft

Hey,
I've used this to much success on swamp ash, anything special for closed grain woods like poplar or basswood?
Thanks,
Heft
It is gonna be way tougher, but not impossible to get SOME highlights. The results will not be close to the same depth as with ASH..

For closed grain woods like poplar or basswood, you can achieve good results with Min Wax Grain Highlighting Finish, similar to your success with swamp ash. Apply it following the same procedure for a smooth and highlighted finish.
This will not produce the same results, but could be a cool finish.

Last edited:
Probably get better results using a dye, like keda. I've done it on maple, and I start with a dark amber, that gets absorbed by things like the bird's eyes, any flame, grain highlights, etc then sand it back and then you have the beauty marks highlighted, but the space between the highlights is clear. This is interesting, never thought about using poplar for dying or staining. I don't see why not though. I'll be following.

Back