Middle routing?

T

Tiger10594

Hi.  I just opened the box, and it's beautiful.  Only one thing...I ordered it H x H routing, but it came H S H.  This is fine, it gives me a chance to look for another pickup :laughing7: .  I don't have any experience with any kind of single coil, and i was wondering if i'll need a mounting plate for it, and if so, where to find one for a strat size pickup?  Thanks.

willyk

You don't mention it but I'm assuming you ordered a top routed strat body. Warmoth always route for a middle pickup when HxH is specified for them (something to do with their CNC program)
If that is the case then you won't need a mounting ring as the pickups mount to the pickguard. If you ordered a rear route body HxH then Warmoth made a mistake and you should be able to return it.  :icon_scratch:

T

Tiger10594

I actually ordered a rear routed SG body, but i'm perfectly ok with it because it gives me some more options.

Orpheo

Tiger10594 said:
I actually ordered a rear routed SG body, but i'm perfectly ok with it because it gives me some more options.

well...its not what you ordered. either ask for a refund (or just a percentage!) or a new body. this is not the way it should be. BUT: check your ordering-info first. maybe they did spec you  hsh, but you didnt see it, and thought that it was h x h, and said: ok lets go!, and they made the hsh anyway.

T

Tiger10594

I don't want to go through returning it and all that, and i'm actually kind of excited to try something new.  But i'd like to know if it will need a mounting plate or not?

Orpheo

Tiger10594 said:
I don't want to go through returning it and all that, and i'm actually kind of excited to try something new.  But i'd like to know if it will need a mounting plate or not?

well....

yes and no.

if you want to have a mounting plate, go ahead, if you dont want it and you want to direct-mount it, go ahead too. there's no right or wrong in this matter I guess. depending on the looks of the total instrument I'd make my choice, but my preferance has it, to use a mounting plate.

O

OzziePete

Ok, so you don't want to return the body even though it looks like you have a valid claim.

Warmoth don't sell pickup mounting rings for single coils.

You can get them at various places on the net, this place is one of them.

http://www.allparts.com/store/pickup-covers-rings-parts-pickup-rings-pc-0761-010,Product.asp
OR, this one:
http://www.allparts.com/store/pickup-covers-rings-parts-pickup-rings-pc-5765-010,Product.asp

You can match up the humbuckers with these chrome rings. But best check with All Parts about the thickness of these rings and compare to the single coil ring - you want to get them all about the same thickness.

http://www.allparts.com/store/pickup-covers-rings-parts-pickup-rings-pc-5436-010,Product.asp

K

kreig

if you notice, the s and x are next to each other on th QWERTY :icon_scratch:

koshersteel

I applaud your ability to go with the flow of things, you are a true zen master. Duncan makes some humbucking rail pickups in single coil size that match well with humbuckers.

T

Tiger10594

Ok, I have another question.  Like i said, i don't know much about single coils, and i was wondering, is there a specific middle pickup, or do neck and bridge pickups fit in it?

blue313

Usually you put a neck in the middle, but pick something you like and will balance out well sandwiched between two full sized humbuckers

taez555

Every pickup will fit in any position: bridge, middle, neck, (as long it's routed to fit it), it all just depends on what sound you're looking for or how you wire it. 

erik