Mid sixties Melody Maker bodies

wired to go

I like the double cutaway mid sixties Melody Makers with the matching horns. I think they would sell very well. Very popular1

Rickgrxbass said:
There's already a flat-top LPS style  :dontknow:

Apples to oranges; my '64 is only 1.25 inches thick and being made from Central American mahogany no longer available in the US, it's practically weightless.

That being said, I don't know that it would be a practical offering for Warmoth to offer.

If you really want one, just keep checking eBay; every once in a while one pops up that's been modified (typically rerouted for different pickups/shit OEM bridge replaced with decent one) that doesn't have any "collectible" value and they go for a few hundred bucks.

jackthehack said:
Apples to oranges; my '64 is only 1.25 inches thick and being made from Central American mahogany no longer available in the US, it's practically weightless.

That being said, I don't know that it would be a practical offering for Warmoth to offer.

If you really want one, just keep checking eBay; every once in a while one pops up that's been modified (typically rerouted for different pickups/shite OEM bridge replaced with decent one) that doesn't have any "collectible" value and they go for a few hundred bucks.

Exactly so. I had a '61 I played for many years that was 100% original when I bought it, but back then it wasn't a "collectible" or "vintage" guitar, it was just a low-end Gibson offering. Super-light, super-simple, basically a Gibson "starter" guitar. Picked it up in a pawn shop for $100. Modified the hell out of it over a period of about 15 years before I sold it for next to nothing. The mods that fixed its deficiencies wrecked its value as a collectible.

You don't see as many as you might imagine - I think maybe they didn't make that many to begin with, plus they were remarkably easy to break. The headstocks would snap off, the necks would snap off, the control cavities would snap off - lotsa failure modes with that design.

I had one that was my main guitar for 30 some years. Bought it stock and modded it many times. I loved it . Never broke anything on it and I wasn't easy on it. I'd love to build a new one. Mine weighed in at 5 lb, but, I also did a lot of routing on it. Humbuckers, preamp, toggles. Gave it to my nephew. :headbang1:

Cagey said:
You don't see as many as you might imagine - I think maybe they didn't make that many to begin with, plus they were remarkably easy to break. The headstocks would snap off, the necks would snap off, the control cavities would snap off - lotsa failure modes with that design.

:laughing7:

It is in one of my next projects to build one. I am beginning to like the ridiculously simple straightforward guitars over the fancy over-the-top ones...

I haven't managed to break my '64 yet, but I had a '65 before with dual HBs and a BadAss bridge mod and broke the peghead off about 5 times in that period; bought clamps and fixed it myself the last couple of times...

Speaking of eBay, this monstrosity has been listed by a seller in Germany for years now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-GIBSON-MELODY-MAKER-USA-CQQL-GRAPHIC-EDITION-/170816892793?pt=Guitar&hash=item27c57aef79#ht_3633wt_1185

rapfohl09 said:
It is in one of my next projects to build one. I am beginning to like the ridiculously simple straightforward guitars over the fancy over-the-top ones...

I think I may be headed that way myself. After the first Tele build, it was like a breath of fresh air I hadn't had in a long time. No fancy paint, no fancy mechanicals, no fancy electricals... just "shut up 'n' play yer guitar" <grin>

Plus, they're a lot lighter. I was weighing mine a couple weeks ago and found that nearly all my guitars weigh between 7.5 and 8 pounds. WTF? What are these, Les Pauls? No, but those dense exotic woods, vibrato bridges, lotsa noiseless pickups, locking tuners, dual truss rods, etc. all add up.

Back