Metallic vs Candy

TexxasJam

What are the differences between Warmoth "Metallic" and "Candy"  lines of colors? I ask because the Candy colors appear metallic. Go to the Warmoth website and click on Candy under the Paint heading. Then click on Tangerine and watch the QuickTime player pop up. The guitar body under direct sunlight has a definite metallic or pearlescent sheen to it. Or, did I just answer my own question?  That is, Metallic is well...metallic and Candy has pearl in it. That Tangerine is a pretty color.

Metallics have the color and the metallic in the same coat.  Candies are a metallic under coat with a tinted transparent top coat.  The color of the two mix to produce the final color.  In general candies are deeper and more vibrant that a standard metallic.  One well known candy finish is gold metallic with trans red over the top, this is the classic "Candy Apple Red" color.  Silver undercoat with blue over it is also fairly common.  I have a 68 mustang finished in what was called Mulberry Wine (or some such) that was basically a heavy metallic copper base coat with a trans purple top coat.  In the shade it looked like an eggplant color, but when the sun hit it you saw the vibrant metallic. 

As a third wrinkle, you get into the flake or pearl finishes.  In a pearl, a lustrous dust is mixed with the clear over the top of the color coat to give it a "sheen".  Some pearls can change color in different light, thus production the blue to green effects you can see.  A flake is just metallic but with larger bits of metallic so that the sparkley bits are bigger.  Flakes can also be applied mixed in the clear as with pearl.  You have to be careful with pearls though, as not all colors mix well.  My Dad did auto body work for years, and once a guy wanted blue pearl over white.  It just didn't work.  The blue pearl didn't show well over the white, so it had to be sprayed really heavy, then it looked sorta milky and dirty. 

Hmmmm, Jack Black. Have they found anything that he's even remotely talented at yet? He can't act, he isn't funny, and he's a musical speed-bump. Should I just assume he's the 2000's version of Pauly Shore?

Rich, go rent 'high fidelity", please. If you don't like that, we have totally totally different taste because I thought he was hilarious, great 'acting' if you want to call it that, and nice musical surprise. Besides it's just such a great movie for a rock  music lover.

RLW said:
Hmmmm, Jack Black. Have they found anything that he's even remotely talented at yet? He can't act, he isn't funny, and he's a musical speed-bump. Should I just assume he's the 2000's version of Pauly Shore?

lies all lies!

Proof that JB rules

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-7278881175147791172&hl=en

Back