Meanwhile, at Warmoth....mystery wood!

aarontunes

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Staff member
So I was rooting around in the reject box today (or as we like to call it, the Island of Misfit Toys) and came across this little gem. We experimented with these a few years ago, and only a few were ever made.

First person to identify this wood correctly wins a 1978 Pontiac Firebird in showroom condition.*

*Not really.

Attachments

• IMG_0273.JPG
    IMG_0273.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 479
  • IMG_0275.JPG
    IMG_0275.JPG
    605.3 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_0276.JPG
    IMG_0276.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 371
  • IMG_0277.JPG
    IMG_0277.JPG
    726.2 KB · Views: 367
Surf n Music said:

Winner, winner, chicken dinner*!!  :hello2:

It's pretty crazy to hold it. It is super, super light, and has a weird "bambooey" texture that frankly gives me the willies.

*Not really.

Yuppers. Bamboo. Curious how it sounded . Seems an interesting wood* for the lightweight school of thought / sustainable crew.

*not really, its a grass, not wood

Glad I was 2nd. No Ponticraps in this driveway

That's cool, I'd buy one...I like really off the wall stuff...

Bamboo is super tough...

But as is the nature of in which it grows, I'd assume it's quite labor intensive to produce..

That sounds like a possible giveaway item. I'd enter. :icon_biggrin:

Someone needs to do a review, once it is put on a body and strung up. I am curious about the resonant properties.

double A said:
Surf n Music said:

Winner, winner, chicken dinner*!!  :hello2:

It's pretty crazy to hold it. It is super, super light, and has a weird "bambooey" texture that frankly gives me the willies.

*Not really.

Some things should never be a guitar neck.....and perhaps never wanted to be.

line6man said:
Someone needs to do a review, once it is put on a body and strung up. I am curious about the resonant properties.

I'm with him....
Bolt it up, pass it around the shop, and do a video review with some clean and dirty tones.
You know, when your not busy making sales and shipping to paying customers... :laughing7:

line6man said:

One of our employees owns one of these bamboo necks, and has been playing it for quite some time. I'll see if he has any pics or videos.

Bah. Hate phone touch acreens. Especially making typos making fun of someone elses. Forgot spell czech. It would be praguematic

I'll see if I can post a vid over the weekend. I have the bamboo neck on a pine Tele body, and it's a surprisingly good combo. Still sounds like a Tele, but with just a little bit of that top end rolled off. Makes it a little less "ice-picky" to my ears. Feels oddly smooth under the hands. Resonates really well, too.  :)

Back