May 2020 Guitar of the Month Submissions

GOM

We are now announcing the May, 2020 Guitar of the Month contest!  May's contest will be "Warmoth/professionally finished" and requires at least a Warmoth neck or body to qualify.

Please read the GOM rules, which have been refined, with some slight changes, and are posted in a sticky in this forum area.

Submissions must be sent to uwfgom@gmail.com, and contain two images no greater than 1024x768, along with your description and details of the instrument.  Send your submission in plain text email.  Your photos must be attachments to the email.  Your UnOfficialWarmoth Forum user name must be included in the body of the email.

In turn, your images will added to this message, which is May's submission thread.

Submissions will be accepted until exactly 7 days from the date and time of this post, so get your cameras clicking!

As usual, discussion about the submissions can take place below.

Please do not post additional photos in any replies to this thread.  Links to other UW threads or external sites are fine.

Please try to stick to the entry requirements:
Two 1024x768 pixel images maximum as attachments please, not embedded in the email or linked to external sites.

An image for the purposes of this contest is a single photograph, not a multiple image/collage.

Include your UnOfficialWarmoth Forum user name.

Warmoth or other professionally finished instruments only this month.

Sorry, but entries that do not meet these requirements may not be included in the contest. If you're having technical difficulties, get in touch!  (But only about contest entries please!)

Good luck, and may the best guitar/bass win!

Guitar #1 xParallax

'Artisan'

Body (Finished by Warmoth): 
Tele Deluxe in Roasted Swamp Ash, finished in Clear Gloss

Vintage 6 Hole Tremolo Rout, Tummy Cut, White Binding and White Pearloid Pickguard.

Neck (Finished by Warmoth):
Modern Construction Stratocaster neck, Maple shaft with Indian Rosewood Fretboard and Roasted Swamp Ash headstock veneer.

Standard Thin, 10-16”, 22 Gold 6150 Frets, White Binding, White Pearloid block inlays, White TUSQ nut, Clear Gloss finish

Hardware:
Bridge: Gotoh 6 Screw Vintage Tremolo in Gold (with Stainless Steel Block)
Tuners: Fender 'F' Staggered Locking Tuners in Gold
Pickups: IronGear Rolling Mill (Neck), IronGear Rolling Mill Overwound (Bridge) in Gold Covered
Controls: 2x CTS 500 ohm Push-Pull Pot (Tone Control both Pickups w/Coil Split), 2x CTS 500ohm Standard Pot (Volume Control both Pickups)
Knobs: Barrel Knob with White Pearloid Inlay in Gold
Strap Locks: Fender Infinity Locks in Gold

MR79RUM.jpg

HSOsMXz.jpg

Guitar #2 Hendrix

40th Anniversary Pele Fade Strat

Warmoth 40th Anniversary Stratocaster® replacement guitar body
Pele Fade Finish over High Grade Quilt Maple with One Piece Roasted Swamp Ash Back.

Warmoth Koa stratocaster® replacement guitar neck with Ebony (Macassar) Fretboard and Flame Koa Headstock veneer.

Gotoh cosmo black chrome tuners
Bareknuckle Blue Note P90 neck Pickup
Lace Sensor Chrome Dome Single Coil Middle Pickup
TV Jones Brian Setzer Signature bridge Pickups
Cosmo black chrome finish on front hardware
CNC cooper my own design costume neck plate

0afRUMH.jpg

L4Mmm7E.jpg

Guitar #3 Raven Blackheart

Warmoth swamp ash body in transparent turquoise

Warmoth roasted flame-maple neck
Indian rosewood fingerboard
azurite malachite dots

Fralin Stock Tele pickups

6-way switching system with single, in-phase, out-of-phase, parallel, serial options

Graphtech Ratio locking tuners

TUSQ nut and string tree

Fralin Stock Tele pickups

personal  headstock logo

384z5Bd.jpg

mojF2qA.jpg

Guitar #4 Axkoa

Body: Warmoth Alder Hybrid Strat, Shell Pink Gloss
Neck: Warmoth Wenge on Wenge Tele neck, Standard Thin profile
Hardware: Wilkinson bridge, Hipshot locking staggered tuners
Pickups: Fralin, Hum-Cancelling P90 Neck, Split-Tele Bridge

B1FHS8N.jpg

Fbv3Dtn.jpg

Guitar #5 Unwound G

ReCaster

La Cabronita Swamp Ash body from Showcase finished in Butterscotch Blonde.

Snakehead one piece standard thin Maple neck from Showcase finished in Vintage Tint gloss.  GraphTech Black TUSQ XL nut and 6150 fretwires.  Kluson 3-on-plate tuners with cream buttons.

Custom self cut .09" matte black pickguard.  Tele bass control plate and Electrosocket style jack in chrome.

TV Jones Supertron neck and T90 bridge pickups.

TV Jones Filtertron size pickup bridgeplate.

Master volume, master tone and mini on-on-on for pickup selector.

x85mARP.jpg

6rAe6XW.jpg

Guitar #6 docteurseb

Body: Soloist carved body with quilt top, swamp ash
Neck: Vortex. Curly maple + ebony fingerboard+veneer, Clapton contour, Azurite Malachite dots, 6150 SS frets, highly rolled fingerboard edges
Extras: hand/router-made curly maple truss rod cover and backplates, stained. Stained curly maple tuner buttons (Gotoh SG 300-series tuners)
Pickups: Dimarzio FastTrack 1 (neck, middle) and FastTrack 2 (bridge)
Bridge: Wilkinson VS100N

COREwpu.jpg

KcmiYNB.jpg

Guitar #7 I AM a Robot

Body:
Warmoth Dinky J chambered Maple
Quilt Maple top on black binding
Rear rout
Clear gloss finish by Warmoth
Body shielded and grounded throughout for passive pickups
Pickups - Lindy Fralin Jazz, wired in a volume-blend-tone configuration
Black Schaller 463 bridge

Neck:
Warmoth Birdseye Maple jazz neck
Macassar Ebony fretboard
SS6105 stainless frets
Clear gloss finish by Warmoth
Black Schaller tuners

CdvNzhy.jpg

voJjxJm.jpg

Guitar #8 new-killer-star

24 3/4 custom mustang build

Body: mahogany double bound tortoise mustang body
Neck: mahogany + rosewood 7/8 warhead - 24 3/4" scale neck
Finish: reverse dog hair by MJT finishes
pickguard: warmoth tortoise pickguard
pickups: neck charlie christian by righteous sound, bridge king street by righteous sound
hardware: misc mix of vintage + new fender hardware
plek'd and setup by mike lull

akFVGcJ.jpg

9Q4KAFL.jpg

That's the way to start this off. Two beautiful ones. Already I'm torn.

OK! Two Strats and three Teles, one with a snakehead. This lineup is really nice.

It's a build from last year that I never got to submit until now (getting bored in quarantine helps check the forum more frequently and not. miss these GOM announcements): https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=30158.0

It's actually going to get modified again as I will change the neck for a Warhead one.

docteurseb said:
It's actually going to get modified again as I will change the neck for a Warhead one.
Are you going to do that same spectacular dye job on it?

Rgand said:
docteurseb said:
Not this time although I considered it for quite some time:
- Color matching: in the build thread you'll see the color I wanted to match was very different from what I got. The test piece matched perfectly, but the body/neck look like completely different dyes. I believe the colors shifted that much because I did too many passes blending colors. Because of that I'm not confident enough I'd be able to achieve the same color as the body. For that same reason I also ruled out having a quilt maple headstock veneer that I would have dyed.

- cost: for the dyes to look nice you really do want the highest grade of curly maple. That's very expensive (more so at Warmoth).
- I want a satin finish this time. Satin on top of dyed figured wood would shift colors quite a bit (more pale/less contrast) and make the figuring less intense.

So this time the neck will be plain maple+ebony (w/ ebony veneer), no inlays, and moon glow side dots.

docteurseb said:
Rgand said:
docteurseb said:
Not this time although I considered it for quite some time:
- Color matching: in the build thread you'll see the color I wanted to match was very different from what I got. The test piece matched perfectly, but the body/neck look like completely different dyes. I believe the colors shifted that much because I did too many passes blending colors. Because of that I'm not confident enough I'd be able to achieve the same color as the body. For that same reason I also ruled out having a quilt maple headstock veneer that I would have dyed.

- cost: for the dyes to look nice you really do want the highest grade of curly maple. That's very expensive (more so at Warmoth).
- I want a satin finish this time. Satin on top of dyed figured wood would shift colors quite a bit (more pale/less contrast) and make the figuring less intense.

So this time the neck will be plain maple+ebony (w/ ebony veneer), no inlays, and moon glow side dots.
I look forward to seeing it.

Whoa, that lest entry outta NOWHERE.  Great looking axe.  Definitely a swarm of tremendous axes from amongst which to choose.  Off we go to the voting thread...

Back