Matching a Fender neck tint?

Ace Flibble

Title pretty much says it all, what's the best way to get a tinted finish ala the current Fender tint (the MIM Deluxe series of Strats and Teles seem to show it best)? The Warmoth "tinted" finish is far, far too yellow/orange and bright whereas all the simple products I've found elsewhere have gone too far the other way, they're too dark/brown and make maple look like walnut. My problem is made more complex by the fact that I'm in the UK and obviously most finishing products can't be shipped around the world and every guide and info page I've read on the subject only lists American products that I can't buy.

So basically, anybody know what the best product or combination of products that are available to the UK/Europe are? I'd rather use a poly finish but I'd be happy to live wih doing a nitro finish if it got me the colour I'm after. I know of manchesterguitartech.co.uk but I can't find any examples of what their tinted gloss nitro looks like on maple (they only show it being used to make a Butterscotch Blonde Tele) and I'm a little wary of spraying something on an expensive neck before I know how it will turn out.

While I'm at it, as there seems little point in starting a whole second thread just for this, anyone here got an actual photo of Warmoth's cream pickguard colour? Hard to tell what's cream and what's parchment on the official gallery and searching these boards I've found nothing bar a couple of dead links, figure I might as well quickly ask just in case.

I'm not in the UK so I can't suggest any particular place, but don't go to guitar shops, go to furniture shops. There are more of those in England, and they've been finishing wood for much longer. Everyone loves a good ol' Queen (insert name here) heirloom.

Definitely, woodworking or furniture shops will have a much larger selection.
There are an amazing variety of finishing products out there.

For the Fender tint, I have had success with testing mixtures of yellow and brown tints in lacquer.
You can futz with it to your hearts content.

Look for a guy with username Strungout20088 I think it is,on Ebay uk,he does various Fender tints for necks/bodies in spraycans (nitro).I`ve used it on one neck and found it to be good stuff.

i might be too late to help, but try Steve at Manchester Guitar Tech - he does all colours of nitro (I've used his tinted lacquer on a neck ) and is a great guy to deal with.

Back