Marshall bought by Zound Industries

So many Marshalls are made in Vietnam rather than the U.K. That alone is a red flag for Me.
Production costs (and competition) is unfortunately a reality, so many companies just have to outsource production to low cost countries.
Marshall made the Astoria in the UK, and apparently it is a really great amp, but it was expensive and as far as I know it didn’t sell that well.

Last edited:
Just for fun I checked out the Zound Industries website (never heard of them before). Wow - they are just a design house with no manufacturing! And they only have a couple of other products - earbuds and headphones (I think...).

Guessing they might have bit of more than they can chew with Marshall. But oh well - there are a pile of other options for guitarists if they screw this up :)

All of them except JCM 800. I never got it to sound even remotely good. Which is weird given how many idols of mine play it.

You know....I kind of agree.

It's taken me a long time to realize that what I really wanted all those times I got frustrated w/ a JCM 800 was a Plexi.

I've never owned one, but I got the want-its real bad.

Are we sure it's Yngwie?
No, I didn't think it was when I posted the photo. I just think that's the kind of "amps" he has the roadies use to build the amp-wall on stage. ZZ Top has a wall of Magnatone amps these days, but I don't think there's anything in the cabinets other than red LEDs and their power supplies.

Last edited:
I managed to read about 1/2 page of drama on TGP about it, before I pressed my emergency Aston Martin ejector seat button and made like James or was it Johnny, anyway I digress.

If they still produce the amps in the way they did before, then what difference does it, or will it, really make?

Marshall were already doing headphones, fridges and other branding type products.
Not to be pedantic, but I think Marshall just licensed the brand identity to be used by a third-party on non-core products (which is something you see across industry) rather than de-focus their team working on product.

Not to be pedantic, but I think Marshall just licensed the brand identity to be used by a third-party on non-core products (which is something you see across industry) rather than de-focus their team working on product.
Yea I think you're right. This is something that the finance people like to see and is usually an indication that the company is looking to do an IPO, or get bought.

Zound Industries were already making the Marshall branded headphones since 2010. They (Zound Industries) will now acquire Marshall and make Marshall Group.

Again, as long as headphones and amps are produced similarly to before, then for most people it probably makes no actual difference.

While Marshall "started it all" back in the '60s, and was the iconic amp that many of the guitar players we grew up listening to were using, today I'd rather have a Bogner or Soldano. 'Too bad I can't afford one of those. I sold my 100 watt JCM900 head back in 2007, but still have the 4x12 cab and I'm not getting rid of that.

rofl i thought this was Zzounds the music retailer and was gonna make a vertical integration joke, but now i cant. Marshall doesn't need to advertise anyway. its like cheese - we already buy cheese and are never going to stop buying cheese. we don't need ads for cheese. I don't need to be "sold" on the idea of cheese.

Last edited:
I met Jim in 1990. I have a signed poster of his. He was a jovial and pleasant man.

I met Jim around that same time at NAMM. I went up to him, shook his hand as said it was an honor to meet him and thanked him for countless hours of enjoyment I've had with his amps. He said, "What?". I said, "Exactly"

I met him as well, around the same time. He must have been traveling like crazy. He was in the Guitar Center in Tukwilla, WA, just sitting at a table and nobody even knew who he was. I walked up and said are you Jim Marshall, and he smiled and said yes.

He signed a shirt for me, and it was a trip watching a perfect Marshall logo roll off his pen like he had been practicing it his whole life.

I still have it.

I met him as well, around the same time. He must have been traveling like crazy. He was in the Guitar Center in Tukwilla, WA, just sitting at a table and nobody even knew who he was. I walked up and said are you Jim Marshall, and he smiled and said yes.

He signed a shirt for me, and it was a trip watching a perfect Marshall logo roll off his pen like he had been practicing it his whole life.

I still have it.

Like this one from 1993? Yes, I wear it around the house. Yes, I wash it. No, I don't care about autographs, never have. No, it's not even close to the oldest article of clothing I still own/wear. Yes, my wife wants me to throw it all out.

Marshall.jpg

Like this one from 1993? Yes, I wear it around the house. Yes, I wash it. No, I don't care about autographs, never have. No, it's not even close to the oldest article of clothing I still own/wear. Yes, my wife wants me to throw it all out.

View attachment 59666

Wow...that's vintage!

Mines the classic black tee with white Marshall logo. And Jim signed it with a gold sharpie, the way nature intended. ;)

Back