Maple goodness

WarmothRules

All I can say is it's all about maple necks and fretboards. A guitar feels not right looking down at a dark colored fretboard to me. From now on it's maple only for me. How about every one else? Mose people like their rosewood. EH? :icon_tongue: Does quarter sawn really have a different tone?

I like bright colors, overall.  I've had so many dark colored guitars but I've found bright colors look so much better under stage lamps.  My Warmoth project is a bright yellow LP.  The neck is maple, too.  I used Pau Ferro for the fingerboard, which is colored somewhere between light and dark.  It's sort of a medium tan.  Dark enough to contrast the white inlays but light enough to compliment the bright yellow dye.

But, like ibob74, I prefer a choice.  :)

I'll let you know after I have tried them all....  :laughing7:

Depends:
Single coil fender world, definitely maple / maple.
Humbucker gibson world, I go with mahogany / maple, or mahogany / rosewood, or mahogany / ebony or maple / pau ferro.  I suppose the one I like the best is mahogany / ebony.

I'm the exact opposite, friend! I don't want any maple in any part of my future guitars. My most recent bass surprised me when I saw the preview pics because the guy "puts maple stringers in all his basses." I haven't really wanted it since.
I guess I feel like darker woods have more subtle character in their grain patterns. Maybe I got completely sick of flipping through so many catalogs filled with maple neck/boards; dark exotics are just, well, exotic!

I like how the maple looks but I won't use it again as it needs finish and I prefer unfinished necks. Visually I like most colors from blond woods like maple & canary to brown woods like ziricote and pau ferro. I don't like plain ebony, too black for my taste. I try to use different woods for my guitars because there is no bad wood, all sound and feel wonderful  :blob7:

I wonder if fingerboard wood actually makes for any discernable difference in tone.  I picked the Pau Ferro for its color and smooth hard feel.  Tone wasn't a big consideration because I didn't think it could be all that significant.

Actually, my experience has been that contruction affects sound more than wood species.  I've had all-mahogany guitars that sounded completely different because the build was very different.  And I've had guitars that sounded very similar acoustically even though the woods were completely different.  They just had similar builds.

I'm guessing "flat solid body, bolt-on 25.5" neck" will determine the sound way more than "swamp ash body, maple neck".

And the fingerboard is so thin and unevenly grooved for the frets.  I just don't imagine it can really contribute that much to the sound.

I love the look of a vintage tinted maple neck.  But I went with satin maple for the back of my neck because I like the satin feel.

My experience is many factors go into the sound, and wood choice is just one of those elements that makes a difference.

i guess its not about tone or looks, its about prefrence, if you like maple you are welcome to use it, but if its tone, its about the rare hardwoods for true character

a ebony  one would give you tonal colaborations from rosewood, to maple to ebony all with wiring and p/u selections...but gives u a more braod range of sound

a wenge...and more exotic type....would then give u true tonal characteristics

but along with a maplethe tonal shift can be great...from the top of the neck, to the bottom 20th frets....it doesnt sound as even as ebony...same with wenge, one part of ur neck will have more bite, and one part will be muddy

maple does that at times....its the luck of the draw what wood you get

with ebony you dont ever get that..and surely you can do mods on guitars with ebony...that can make it sound like a maple fretboard

if only i could get a full ebony.ebony neck with scaloping and a 16 inch flat radius, im sure anything out there couldnt be better

Back