Many Warmoth builds on here seem to have one thing in common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cowbell Fever!

A lot of hand wringing and stripping and refinishing over the most minute scratch. Stuff that will reoccur after one band practice or gig. I present this helpful related kitchen etiquette tutorial!
[youtube]oDGTCULn6P0[/youtube]

oh geez will you look at that! my trem claw isn't as shiny as I remember, time to dis-install and give it a lick and a promise.  :laughing7:

Hmm, not so much a fan of Dale Carnegie I'm thinking?

I'm not without sympathy for your point, I taught myself riding a motorcycle in a northeast city midwinter many ahh so many years ago. I took the safety course that gives a quicker path to license and laughed inwardly at the Harley riders complaining that the course was given on a rainy day, messing up their pretty polish.

Here's the thing. Many of us here put an obsessive or maybe excessive amount of time into our builds. My own thing for a first build was inventing a new way to apply color with a Tung oil finish. Certainly the hours I put in were as many as any gloss & polish job, and not the least thing I love about it is scratches can be cleared to effectively invisible in a few minutes.

My next build has been on hold for 6 months because I'm enjoying playing the first that much, and I may follow the tung finish with nitro this time if I feel the maple chatoyance needs it.

I like this tribe, we represent a whole lot of approaches and aesthetics. Vive la difference 🤘

oh I include myself in some of this behavior! Just having a chuckle.

Cowbell Fever! said:
A lot of hand wringing and stripping and refinishing over the most minute scratch. Stuff that will reoccur after one band practice or gig. I present this helpful related kitchen etiquette tutorial!
[youtube]oDGTCULn6P0[/youtube]

Ahh, Phil Hartman.  Frickin' genius. That entire cast of that era was just pure Alpha Squad.

I do have to admit that I'm noticing a glaze spot on the satin black finish of my V near the neck pickup where I tend to place my finger as a brace while chugging, and dammit if I didn't think exactly of this character when I contemplated refinishing the guitar just because of that spot!  :icon_biggrin:

Sorry, I like pretty guitars, but at the end their just tools of the trade. It performs or doesn’t. 

The other build I have in progress, a Tele, a year ago my wife knocked it off the workbench onto I guess a jack stand underneath. All I know is the finished body has a nice 1 inch gouge near the jack hole. When I say gouge, like 1/16 deep (though finish and wood removed).

I drank a few beers and became ok with it.

TBurst Std said:
a Tele, a year ago my wife knocked it off the workbench onto I guess a jack stand underneath. All I know is the finished body has a nice 1 inch gouge near the jack hole. When I say gouge, like 1/16 deep (though finish and wood removed).

My gf knocked my first build off it's dryer hook making a similar dent. I was glad I wasn't the one to cause the first flaw :)

TBurst Std said:
Sorry, I like pretty guitars, but at the end their just tools of the trade. It performs or doesn’t. 

The other build I have in progress, a Tele, a year ago my wife knocked it off the workbench onto I guess a jack stand underneath. All I know is the finished body has a nice 1 inch gouge near the jack hole. When I say gouge, like 1/16 deep (though finish and wood removed).

[/quote
That is how I feel too!

Sadie-f said:
TBurst Std said:
a Tele, a year ago my wife knocked it off the workbench onto I guess a jack stand underneath. All I know is the finished body has a nice 1 inch gouge near the jack hole. When I say gouge, like 1/16 deep (though finish and wood removed).

My gf knocked my first build off it's dryer hook making a similar dent. I was glad I wasn't the one to cause the first flaw :)

Where I'm from there's a thing called a 'soul escape'.  The idea is that if you have a perfect object, and I mean really perfect, then you'll spend so much time obsessing over keeping it perfect that it will literally capture your soul.  How you get out of this is you put a small flaw in that perfect object.  Then you don't obsess over it and your soul can escape.

My stuff has plenty of flaws  :headbang:

Just give me a break when I enter it in a GOM.  A great concept.
Let’s have a single GOM that has a cosmetic flaw.

That’s what the Navaho do! Leaving a teeny tiny imperfection as an escape route.  If you make it perfect your soul gets stuck in the object.  Fortunately I’ve never made anything perfect or if I did it got scratched shortly thereafter, so I’m good.

TBurst Std said:
Just give me a break when I enter it in a GOM.  A great concept.
Let’s have a single GOM that has a cosmetic flaw.

Many GOMs have had cosmetic flaws - e.g. some of them are not beauties in the eyes of every beholder.

To combine two truths from this thread into a new truth.

Sometimes when I look at certain GOM submissions, I drink a few beers and I'm ok with it.

I have a couple of guitars (big-name manufactured) that now have dings and dents in them, not because of gigs but my children knocking into them or accidentally knocking them off the stand, etc.

I had two choices:

[list type=decimal]
[*]get angry, throw a tantrum, scream, yell, swear, and scare the hell out of them
[*]recognize that they felt terrible about it the moment they did it, it wasn't deliberate, and I can gently and calmly use those as moments to remind them to be mindful of their surroundings
[/list]

I chose #2.  Those dents do still bother me, but in the big picture, they don't affect playability or sound.  It's just that "perfection" aesthetic.  And it's not worth terrorizing my children for it.

And thank you for the info about the Navaho "spirit line."  In Japanese craft, the use of intentional flaws is called "wabi-sabi," as a reminder to acknowledge and accept imperfections in life, and that nothing is permanent.

(I had to look that up just now, because while reading more about the Navaho, I was reminded that the Japanese also do something similar)

These are good guides for our own musical craft.

Where I'm from there's a thing called a 'soul escape'.  The idea is that if you have a perfect object, and I mean really perfect, then you'll spend so much time obsessing over keeping it perfect that it will literally capture your soul.  How you get out of this is you put a small flaw in that perfect object.  Then you don't obsess over it and your soul can escape.

Where I'm from we call those Horcruxes.

The Aaron said:

Hogwarts?

stratamania said:
The Aaron said:

Hogwarts?

10 points to Gryffindor.

The Aaron said:
stratamania said:
The Aaron said:

Hogwarts?

10 points to Gryffindor.

:) 

Mayfly said:
Sadie-f said:
TBurst Std said:

My stuff has plenty of flaws  :headbang:

The beauty contest winner in my signature had that going for it.  I taped off around the cavity when soldering, but guess who managed to flick a tiny bead of solder past the tape and left a tiny, tiny scorch mark on the face of the body about an inch south of the low E-string saddle?  Yours truly, that's who.  And it was strangely freeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back