Making lapsteel, what features would you like?

Notyethendrix

Hey guys, I've got a chuck of maple, and is ready to make a lapsteel.

I'm now making my final decisions on the scale length, number of strings, the controls and the gadgets I'm gonna put on it.

I think I'll put a kill switch on it(pretty much confirmed)

If you are going to build a lapsteel, what features would you like?

:icon_biggrin:

My lap steel is a 12 string(ibanez style 8 string with banjo string above high E to give an A and the G,D and high E doubled) but thats very unothordox. I also a two 'B-benders' on the b and e strings and a fernandes sustainer :headbang1: in there for good measure.

It sounds fantastic! It really suits certain styles and when used properly sounds great I'm surprised sustainers in lap steels aren't more common.

what kind of pickups you choose to go with the sustainer?

man, that's some serious range of possibilities to go with a lapsteel!

my friend(pickupnut) wound me 3 pickups(2 minibuckers and a p-90 - don't ask me why I chose those) however I can only use the p-90 when the sustainer is on because magnetic fields or something like that, my minds drawn a blank at the moment.

=CB= said:
I'd like to propose "strings", as a good starting point in features.

LOL, and maybe a pickup too..... Nah, maybe volume and tone on the side of the body (the knobs would have to miniature) rather than on top, output jack at the end pin. Do you put real frets for these lap steels or just mark the scale on the neck?

home made lap steel, Balance.  I have seen too many that feel like they want to fall off because they donot have enough weight around the bridge area

I've built a couple lap steels myself - what features you want will depend a bit on what style you want to play with that lap steel...

For blues and rock stuff, I'd use 6 strings, tuned to open G, open E, or a similar tuning, and I'd use a P90 or a humbucker, or maybe, if you don't mind the price, something like a Lollar Chicago Steel; I'd also think about using two pickups (instead of the traditional single PU setup) - a neck PU on a lap steel is great for bluesier solo playing...
For "classic" lap steel sounds like Western Swing and Hawaiian music, but also for country rock, Americana, alt.country style stuff, I'd go with 8 strings tuned to C6 (or maybe A6), and use a pair of Stringmaster-style singlecoils (Lollar or VVG make those), or maybe a CharlieChristian type PU.

As for scale length, personally I like something in the 23-24" range - the traditional 22 or 22.5" (in conjunction with a string spacing that is equally wide at the bridge and nut) is great if you use a lot of bar slants in your playing; if you don't use slants at all, a longer scale (25-26") will give you more sustain - 23-24" is a nice compromise that still allows slants, and will sustain quite well.

If you are love pedal-steely sounds, you might think about adding a Duesneberg Multibender to you lap steel; this works great with a 6-string E6 or E7 tuning, and the bender levers on the 2nd and 3rd string set up like the A and B pedals of the pedal steel.

I would definitely include volume and tone pots, and I'd place them so you can reach them with your pinky - for doing volume swells and boo-wah effects; since you rarely strum on a lap steel, placing them close to the strings is not a problem...

thanks man, yeah mostly it's for rock and blues style. I don't think I have enough budget for a Lollar, probably two Seymour Duncans will do.

Sorry to resurrect the old thread, but I was looking at some spare guitar parts recently and thought about making a lap steel myself. I found this site, which seems perfect for a first try:

http://buildyourguitar.com/resources/lapsteel/

One of my spare parts is an EMG SA. An ative pickup in a wood plank is appealing somehow.  :icon_jokercolor:

Back