Mahogany Strat

Tonar8352

I started this mahogany Strat for nullref and I'll be doing a cherry red. The first step is to fill it with cherry paste filler. I had to mix this using a neutral paste filler and powdered aniline dye from LMI. The trick with this is to use a  mortar and pestle to grind the color into your paste filler. Here it is with just the paste filler. The next step will be to make a dye with shellac solvent and more of the powder so the color will be much more intense. I'll do that later this week once the filler sets up real good.
IMG_0331_zpsclu5lumt.jpg

IMG_0333_zps7jw5mc1g.jpg

IMG_0334_zpssuymfaac.jpg

Yeah, looks great with just the grain filler. I may have to do something like this for my current build. I really like how it looks.

I might be slightly biased, but I think this is going to turn out pretty well...    :laughing7:

Whoa! That looks awesome just as it is. Nice tip about grinding the pigment into the filler, thanks.  :icon_thumright:

Already looking good with just the filler. I suck at finishes but I do them anyways because that is how I get my guitar a little sweat and a few oops but always love the guitar in the end.

I pulled this off the spray stick today so I thought I'd see how it would look with a maple vs a rosewood board. What you all think?
IMG_0358_zpssccwxziy.jpg

IMG_0357_zps3zaq6fot.jpg

I think I prefer the rosewood neck. It seems to carry the color of the body a little better. That body really is nice with that finish on it.

Rgand said:
I think I prefer the rosewood neck. It seems to carry the color of the body a little better. That body really is nice with that finish on it.

I agree with you Rgand, the Rosewood looks better.  The real question for me though is...  white or black pickguard.  ???

I think I would go with a black pick guard but I did not have one laying around to check it out and I like the rosewood too.

Tonar8353 said:
I think I would go with a black pick guard but I did not have one laying around to check it out and I like the rosewood too.

It looks amazing.  Great work as always.  I'll just have to wait to sort out all of the details until I see it in person.  Some bits can change...  But the neck and pups are sealed in stone.  For at least a year or two...  :laughing7:

Rosewood finger board and a black pickguard. Just my HO, mind you, but I think it would go very nicely with that beautifully finished mahogany! Whatever you decide, it's looking awesome!  :headbang:

Tonar8353 said:
I pulled this off the spray stick today so I thought I'd see how it would look with a maple vs a rosewood board. What you all think?

If it was mine: Black pickguard, Wenge neck (2nd choice mahogany) - Rosewood/Kingwood/Ebony fretboard.

Kostas said:
If it was mine: Black pickguard, Wenge neck (2nd choice mahogany) - Rosewood/Kingwood/Ebony fretboard.

Wenge would work for this guitar quite well I think.  I definitely prefer something darker from a color perspective.  Which is quite fortunate, since I already have an African Ebony neck waiting...

To play devil's advocate...I prefer the Maple board.

Then again I much prefer playing a Maple board over a RW or Ebony one...

Back