Mahogany Neck/Ebony Fretboard

Hi everyone,

I have an alder strat body and will be putting in EMG Fat 55’s in it. I’m looking for some insight or opinions about a mahogany neck with ebony fretboard on an alder body combo. Anyone have experience with this?

I know fender sells a 60’s vintage maple neck/ebony fretboard combo. It’s stupid expensive. But that just seems like it would be a bit too bright.

My initial thought was quartersawn maple with dark rosewood, but I want to try something different than the usual considering I have other guitars with the maple/rosewood combo.

Hi Welcome to the forum. I have added a link below with lots of useful information and links to build guides etc for new users.

Per your question.

I have a Mahogany/Ebony board Warmoth neck and also a number of Warmoth Maple/Ebony boards.

The mahogany neck is on a mahogany body so I would not want to speculate on what it would be like if I moved it to an alder body, though it would probably work. What I can say is that a maple with ebony board one of which I do have on an alder body is not too bright and also works very well with the EMGs that are in it.

Welcome to the Forum

also if you peruse warmoth youtube videos you'll encounter "shoot-outs" that demonstrate that neck wood has a small effect on your sound.  More important, when it comes to necks is get something esthetically pleasing and comfortable for playing, especially in regard to fret boards.  Your body wood has a greater effect on sound.

I had two necks with raw maple / ebony fretboard, although I ended up selling both guitars.  The combo seems to give a dry / non-resonant tone, and IMO does nothing to accentuate the mids.

Roasted maple / Pau Ferro seems to have a balanced tone, although it gives more mid emphasis than maple/ebony.  It will be a great choice for a humbucker guitar with alder body IMO.    Roasted maple is a big advantage for the stability and precision of the neck too.  It is important for either type of Warmoth neck construction.

I find ebony to be bright and snappy like maple. The only current guitar I have with it is an all mahogany Carvin including set neck. Your mileage  may vary. However, it is super smooth and fast to play on. I know nothing of EMG's .

AlwaysEvolving said:
Hi everyone,

I have an alder strat body and will be putting in EMG Fat 55’s in it. I’m looking for some insight or opinions about a mahogany neck with ebony fretboard on an alder body combo. Anyone have experience with this?

I know fender sells a 60’s vintage maple neck/ebony fretboard combo. It’s stupid expensive. But that just seems like it would be a bit too bright.

My initial thought was quartersawn maple with dark rosewood, but I want to try something different than the usual considering I have other guitars with the maple/rosewood combo.

I have this exact combo on my tele.

I did it to lessen the tele's inherent brightness.  I used a set of harmonic design vintage plus pickups as well.  I find that the double truss rod transfers alot of the sound energy to the body, causing it to resonate hugely. 
I compared to an all maple neck and didn't notice much difference.  Maybe a hair fatter sounding? It is a fatback after all, lol

Attachments

• 20211009_144325.jpg
    20211009_144325.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 52
Back