Lt Dan Gets a Custom Bass with Warmoth Neck

Telenator

A few years ago I started a project to put ergonomically designed instruments into the hands of those who play while seated in a wheelchair. Although the concept worked really well, it never caught on.

I have since donated the remains of the company, and the last piece, a 5 sting bass with a Warmoth neck, is on it's way to The Gary Sinise Foundation in hopes that someone will benefit from it. The bass wasn't doing any good sitting in my closet.

Over the past several months I have been working on an acoustic guitar version and made a little video for a Kickstarter page I have yet to launch and may not ever. The guitar is going to The Gary Sinise Foundation when it's completed.

Anyway, I thought you guys might enjoy seeing the bass in action.
You can fast forward to the 2:30 mark to get right into the bass guitar section. ENJOY, and thanks to Warmoth for the great products.

http://youtu.be/mGo6YfYCAwY

5%20String%20Ergo-Vibe_zpsrjnvujrb.jpg

5%20string%20peg%20head_zpsiuqu6mci.jpg

Very interesting! I am a bass (and guitar) player in a wheelchair. I've never seen anything like this before. It's particularly eye-opening to me that you chose a Jazz as your "standing" demo bass. The offset waist actually makes the Jazz one of the more comfortable body shapes to play sitting down. Ditto the Jazzmaster and the Warmoth Diamondback. You're spot on with the wonkiness of the balance. Very effective contrast.

Not sure how I would feel about the 15º fingerboard tweak. My guitars are pretty close to vertical when I play. Sure would like an adjustable leaf spring though. That's fantastic. Love the shape of the leg cut too.

Which Warmoth neck did you use?

In all honesty I don't recall the neck specs.

The 15 degree angle is because my observations have shown that many seated players need to lean back a bit in the chair for balance so they don't fall forward. It depends of course on your particular circumstances. Most seated players, wheel chair. or the slouching sofa player have been very happy with the 15 degree forward rotation of the playing surfaces. It corrects for their posture issues.

I think the guitar would have found more ready acceptance because it's so portable. No amp to carry. No cords. Just play. Goes anywhere. But, there just doesn't seem to be much interest. Oh well. Someone is going to get a sweet guitar.

Back