Looking for opinions on amps

DK Sears

I'm on the search for a new amp.  I'm looking for something about 30 watts or so with decent clean headroom that I can use with my pedalboard.  Mostly interested in clean headroom.  I already have a Soldano Astroverb and Mesa Stiletto Ace, but both are combos and I'm more interested in just a head unit for portability as I have a cabinet that I'll be using and leaving at my church for practices and services which seats about 300 at capacity.  My cabinet is a 4 x 10 Marshall (a 1965a?).

I tried a 65 Bassman from a friend of mine and it's just too loud, but I love the tone and the cleans.  I am considering one to replace my Mesa at some point for larger venues, though.

I'm primarily interested in keeping it American made and reasonably priced.  (Below $2,000, if possible)

What about amps like the Dr. Z Maz 18, Maz 38, M12, Route 66 or Remedy?  I know all are different animals, but I haven't had any experience with any Dr. Z's and the closest dealer is at least two hours away to try them out.  The Maz series looks interesting with the effects loop for my chorus, phase and delays.

Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts and experiences.

I just picked up a Fender Mustang II a few weeks ago. Loving it so far. Tons of clean headroom, and lots of different clean sounds. I bought it mainly for the clean headroom for pedals as well, and while I haven't gotten my pedalboard set up and running through it, it seems like it should handle it fine. It's got all kinds of settings, but you can just put it on a Fender Twin clean setting or something and forget about all of them, because it'll sound great.

If you're running a pedalboard (and thats where you're getting your distortion), and  mostly want clean headroom, why the 30 watt target? In your shoes I think I'd stick a Carvin SX head on it and call it a day.

DK Sears said:
...I tried a 65 Bassman from a friend of mine and it's just too loud, but I love the tone and the cleans...
If you want the amp just for cleans why don't you lower the volume? I have two old Fender heads, both sound wonderful either on 2 or 5. With the money you are willing to spend you can buy a mint blackface Fender head, they all have great clean sound.

The Mazes are loud amps, even the 18. I'm guessing the 38 will break up later. Route 66 is designed to be played open up and loud. You can use it as a clean amp but for my taste it won't match a blackface head. The Remedy is a plexi style amp, try it to see if you prefer this clean sound.

swarfrat said:
... In your shoes I think I'd stick a Carvin SX head on it and call it a day.

+1. Check out the Legacy 3 too. Tons of clean headroom and only $900 or so.

If i didnt ever want it to break up I sure as heck wouldnt want to be lugging 30 lbs of transformers.  And the SX head is only $300

For the original poster, a vintage Fender Bandmaster would do.  It is the classic AB763 circuit that the deluxe reverb, dual showman, vibrolux reverb, and so on had.  The differences were only to accommodate different output sections, speakers and so on.  The amp takes pedals well and has a marvelous clean tone.  Looking at ebay for a ballpark figure and there are some nice ones for $600-800.  If you are going to be playing in Church, it shouldn't have to stand up to the same troubles as bars.  So even if it is 47 or so years old, it should be good.  And they do sound quite nice.
Patrick

swarfrat said:
If i didnt ever want it to break up I sure as heck wouldnt want to be lugging 30 lbs of transformers.  And the SX head is only $300

YOu can get 'em even cheaper on eBay - absolutely no aftermarket cachet for those babies.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.  I was targeting 30 watts from my experiences with the Astroverb and the Stiletto, and was aiming for something in between.

When we tried the Bassman on two, everyone thought it was too loud, but I am wanting one for larger venues we play around town occasionally.

Haven't been a big fan of the Carvin amps I have playing in the past, but they were used amps and around here (Cincinnati) much of the used stuff that shows up like that are pretty much trashed by the time I get to try it.

I am taking a trip to Lexington this weekend to check out a couple of used Fenders and some Dr. Z at a dealer down there.

I live close to a Dr. Z dealer, and was seriously unimpressed especially when you factor in the pricing on those amps.

Besides the older Fender heads, you should check out the Deluxe Reverb re-issue and the new Super-Sonic 22 combos from Fender, think you might find what you're looking for at about 1/2 the price of the Dr. Z's...

jackthehack said:
I live close to a Dr. Z dealer, and was seriously unimpressed especially when you factor in the pricing on those amps.

Besides the older Fender heads, you should check out the Deluxe Reverb re-issue and the new Super-Sonic 22 combos from Fender, think you might find what you're looking for at about 1/2 the price of the Dr. Z's...

I'd have to agree with that assessment of the Dr. Z models I've played. They are very nice but they have to be pretty loud to come into their own and then they are kind of a one-trick pony and if you are using a lot of pedals, you aren't likely to use that trick so much.

And I'll also second that most of the recent Fender tube amps I've played are really very nice and (since I'm a Boogie guy) you could always get a head-shell made for your Stiletto.

Little Walter , and Andrews both make very tasty hand made amps .

http://littlewaltertubeamps.com/

http://andrewsamplab.com/andrewsamps-wp/

greywolf said:
Little Walter , and Andrews both make very tasty hand made amps .

http://littlewaltertubeamps.com/

http://andrewsamplab.com/andrewsamps-wp/

I'll vouch for Jeff Andrews as an honest guy who does top-notch work!

Wayne

I love MAZ18's...they play really well with pedals actually.  It's only a matter of time before I own one.  You can always consider an attenuator if it's just too loud.

After quite a bit of research, a nice overnight trip to check out some Dr. Z and Two Rock amps, playing through a really nice 68 Bassman of a friend and playing my Astroverb for the last two weeks through my Marshall cab, I found the amp I'm after, and it's been in front of me the whole time.  I want the Astroverb with a little more headroom and in a head box.  So, I'm going after a Hot Rod 50+.  Now, just need to save the cash and find a good used one!

Back