Lollar P90 Humbuckers.

bassetman

So , these are the Lollar’s P90 in a humbucker size. Install is a snap. They are much snappier than the SD phatcats they replace. When you dig in they get a very nice dirtyness that comes and goes as you wish. They sound very clear and clean when I’m not beating on them. Everything you do on the strings, timing, pressure anything...they respond to it. The big smile started as soon as I saw them and has not diminished .The tortoise tops look just great. Well worth the cash on these...I liked the SD pickups and I still do ,but when I imagine p90 sound...these have it. One of these years I’ll actually have a body routed for soap bars but these are real close.

J6fBYyS.jpg

7pKxhaU.jpg

AuXNT4K.jpg

Lt5sQEQ.jpg

eY6WASM.jpg

6E2uTT6.jpg

That looks great. Nice to hear you’re happy with the pickups. Nothing beats that feeling when you get that sound you’ve been searching for :eek:ccasion14:

I literally took it to the gig and played it all night. I’m still smiling. They will break the budget for some . I believe they are very much the best of this style that I’ve tried or heard really good samples of.

bassetman said:
...but when I imagine p90 sound...these have it. One of these years I’ll actually have a body routed for soap bars but these are real close...

Have you tried a guitar with P90's? Filtetrons & P90's are pretty special, they have the best of PAF & strat pickups, they excel on both clean & dirty tones, IMO.
Most people say the HB sized P90's don't sound the same as P90's because of the different construction. Judging from the Phat Cat I had I will agree. It wasn't bad but it didn't have anything special.

BTW...No need to buy another body. Enjoy your new pickups and when you want to experiment, with some minor routing and a new pickguard you can put P90's in your guitar.

I had the same opinion on the phat cats....nice but not great. These are very like real soapbars. A very different feel and sound than the sd offering.

It's great to hear that you like them. I have a pair sitting in a box that are about to be installed in my VIP project.

I am a P90 convert: I love how responsive they are to picking dynamics and to the volume knobs. They can go from crystal clean to raunchy but still retain good note definition.

I have Rocket Pickups P90s in 2 guitars: a '75 Hagstrom Swede and a gorgeous Dot Deluxe, HB sized in both. Rocket also makes a 'Soapie' soapbar model. Rocket builds wonderful pups, but I've heard great things about Fralin P90s and wanted to give them a try.

Good to know.  My go to set up recently has been a humbucker in the bridge (Tapped for single coil operation when wanted) and a neck p90.    I have not seen a humbucker sized p-90 I really like.  I may have to give this a try as a retro-fit some of my HH guitars!

BTW...with both pickups turned on and the humbucker set to single coil mode...the tone can be AMAZING!!!!

Back