locking nut in angled neck

ziko

Greetings to all warmoth users all over the world !!!

I really need your help

I have an angled warmoth neck ( warmoth headstock , warmoth pro construction , trussrod adjustment in on the headstock )
I'd been using this neck with a fixed bridge warmoth body but I just bought a nice soloist body with floyd rose and I want to use the neck with this body .

The problem is with the locking nut ! How is it possible to put the locking nut ? I guess that there is going to be problems because of the angle and the position of the trussrod mechanism !
I checked the warmoth options and  if you're going to buy an angled neck , there is no option to have a locking nut ! However , when i saw the user gallery , there were many guitars (lp and vip ) with floyd rose locking nut and angled neck !

What should i do ?

Use a nice slippery nut like a Graphtech TUSQ part or an LSR nut along with locking tuners.

Originally, the reason for the locking nut was that at the time, there were no such things as locking tuners or low-friction nuts. Also, the Floyd makes it possible to relax the strings so far that they can actually fall out of the nut slots on a poorly cut nut. For the most part, those situations don't exist any more.

If you check here, http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/StringNut.aspx
under the Schaller F/R nut prep mid pic you can see the shelf required, truss access
visible & accessable.  A call to Warmoth will get the answer to be sure.

I have several guitars with floyds and a good quallity properly cut nut, and locking tuners.

No problems at all,  Unless you feel real comfortable cutting a new shelf for a locking nut, I wouldn't.

Look at it this way, it's a good excuse to buy a new neck with all the options you want, start expanding your guitar collection now

Hey Ziko. I have a Warmoth pro neck that originally had a standard Tusq nut. I took it to a local luthier and had him route a prober Floyd Rose shelf. I didn't have the guts to do it my self.

thank you so much for your advice , i'll probably stick with the locking tuners and the graph nut I already have !  :)

That's odd, I just got my angled pro Warmoth neck, and it has a cut out for the locking nut . . . it is made of rosewood and has an ebony fretboard. But, I ordered back in Nov 2012; it was sent to my sister's place in NY, and long story short, I just got it. Too bad that they don't have that option any more. I wonder why.

Ash

Aria said:
Too bad that they don't have that option any more. I wonder why.
They do. I just mocked up a pro angled neck and all the Floyd nut options are there. Isn't that what you meant?

-Rory

Attachments

• Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts - Custom Neck Wizarduw.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 334
ziko said:
I checked the warmoth options and  if you're going to buy an angled neck , there is no option to have a locking nut !
Were you by any chance choosing a straight radius greater than 10"? Cuz they only offer the Floyd nut option on 10" or lower (or compound). They say this is because Floyd nuts have to match the radius, but I've seen tons of guitars with Floyd nuts and 12" or flatter radii. Maybe Warmoth just doesn't stock those nuts and for some reason won't cut for them anyway?

-Rory

Back