Local guitar builder

JamesL

http://www.meyerscustomguitars.com/

This guy is a local luthier here in houma, his guitar/woods are really nice quality but he asks three ams, two legs, and seven unborn children for them
I talked to him about having a plain jane 6 string made, nothing pretty or elaborate, he wanted 6500$  :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8:

But overall he's a cool guy that makes nice instruments from scratch.

Just wanted to post this up and see what everyone thought  :)

His body shapes look deformed & are some of the ugliest ones I've seen for a long time. Imagine how many quality Warmoths you could buy with $6500.

a grand maybe............  looks like a Carvin neck he's working with on the one there.  I mean if he's cool, that's awesome to work with someone that isn't a male genital.  But $6500 is a little much.  Isn't that 2 Gibsons?

Yea, He's on some good shit if he think anyone is gonna give him that much.. He's a cool dude, a tad full of himself, just a tad.  and yes his shapes are buttfuckingugly.
6500$ could also buy a private stock PRS which would blow all other out of the water.

He's obviously been building guitars for a while now, and knows what he's doing.

Anyone with that level of competance must have sold a few guitars over the years, and probably didn't make much money at first.

So maybe he launched a website and asks high prices hoping for sales, or, he has so much business he had to raise his price to lower the demand.

If i make a widget and I am overwhelmed with business, I raise my price to reduce the demand.

But yeh 6500 is a bit (way bit) too much

Alfang said:
He's obviously been building guitars for a while now, and knows what he's doing.

Anyone with that level of competance must have sold a few guitars over the years, and probably didn't make much money at first.

So maybe he launched a website and asks high prices hoping for sales, or, he has so much business he had to raise his price to lower the demand.

If i make a widget and I am overwhelmed with business, I raise my price to reduce the demand.

But yeh 6500 is a bit (way bit) too much

Makes perfect sense, and yea his stuff is awesome.... Not that awesome though haha

I can't imagine anyone buying a no name luthier's deformed looking guitars for $6,500. I mean, how good can it be? My guess is that it's a stock preplacement neck bought from another manufacturer like Carvin, & a body he hands cuts himself...badly.

Here's a Warmoth I build myself for well under half the price. Better wood, hardware, more asthetic & construction.

Without knowing the guy's level of craftsmanship, they do look deformed. Taking a strat or tele and warping the dimensions a little bit almost always looks awkward, even more so when badly done. But if you're going custom...

But maybe he's just getting going, or does enough business locally to not care about his site. His online showroom is 3 guitars and a t-shirt, in a cell phone photo, so who really knows. I don't think any guitar is worth dropping $6.5k on, and if I did I'd want to see a lot more that what he's showing there. He could have amazing guitars he's done...or not.

if this guy can make a living selling guitars at that price then I say more power to him. doesn't mean you have to buy one though.

koshersteel said:
if this guy can make a living selling guitars at that price then I say more power to him. doesn't mean you have to buy one though.

I know most of the musicians in this area, we all say the same thing about him and I don't know anyone who has one of his guitars.. He also charges an assload to repair anything.

the shapes themselves aren't all that bad, but the headstock at the top of the page is awful :sad:

Sounds like he has some very loyal customers, or maybe a day job. If he does top-shelf work as far as setups/repairs go there's always demand for that though. Good ones are hard to come by (at least in my area they are).

Wow when you said $6,500, I thought it'd be a neck-through, hippie sandwich, exotic wood, inlays galore guitar.

Maybe he's artificially inflating prices to make future more "affordable" models seem worthwhile?

Some people are totally delusional about the worth of their wares. I know a local luthier who bought Warmoth parts, removed the Warmoth imprint on the woods, puts it together & tried to sell it for $3,500. All he did is put his own logo on the headstock & did a fret dressing. The guitar was nice, but who would buy a "Leighton's Dream" Soloist for that much? Suffice to say, it's been hanging on the wall of his shop for 3 years & he refuses to lower the price.  :icon_scratch:

1) Louisiana is definitely not local for me! :icon_jokercolor:

2) $6500 for a solid body guitar - what you describe as a kind of "meat and 3 vegs" variety, not an exotic - is out of the ballpark. Convert that to Aus$ & it's obscene.

3) No matter what type of business he's in, he cannot afford to be too full of himself and his abilities. That sort of attitude can be mistaken for arrogance and steer potential clients away.

4) The maker is entitled to put whatever value he wants on his wares, the customer can decide whether it's worth it or not.  :dontknow:

5) I don't think his designs are too warped, he has made some shape changes to the standard trad. body shapes and that's fine with me. Compared to some other guitar builders' shapes he is leaning towards a more conservative look.  :icon_thumright:

drewfx said:
Wow when you said $6,500, I thought it'd be a neck-through, hippie sandwich, exotic wood, inlays galore guitar.

Yeah this is what I pictured. Something with too much abalone and layers of various AAAAA grade woods. But no it's a melted Tele?

mmmmmmmmmmmmm.......melted tele

It looks like he was drunk while working his ban saw.

Back