Lets talk Home Security

I have two actual dogs.  They are kinda chickens, but boy do they sound feirce when the bark.  Both of them have a really deep guttural bark.  I refuse to live in fear of this world.  That's it. 

guitlouie said:
I have two actual dogs.  They are kinda chickens, but boy do they sound feirce when the bark.  Both of them have a really deep guttural bark.  I refuse to live in fear of this world.  That's it. 

Cool, what do you have, I have a German Shepherd (Czech line).

Both of my pups are mutts.  Originally we got a redbone coonhound/beagle mix from a no-kill shelter.  This guy was five weeks old when we got him, yet almost fully trained.  I have a special whistle, and no matter where we are, how many other dogs and owners are there, I do the whistle, and he is at my feet within seconds.  The more recent one came from my boss who literally rescued him from drowning in a river.  Lab/beagle mix, best as I can tell.  Both dogs are smarter than they should be and hence the great feeling of security my family feels when they are about.

This one would unlock the front door, and lead them to the guitars.

DSCN1339.jpg

Dogs can't always be trusted; last time I was burgled - in Dallas about 20 years ago - we had an Irish Wolfhound, the world's largest Greyhound and a Beagle. From the evidence left behind, the burglars brought a sack full of McD's cheeseburgers with them.

You've seen those hanging bug zappers? Get yourself some flyback transformers out of old 17/21" CRT monitors and you can build 50-60 kilovolt "burglar zappers" out of them; work great on aluminum window frames.

I lost a Travis Bean TB1000, an original B.C. Rich Mockingbird, a 60's ShoBud pedal steel and about 600 weird old vinyl albums when I got cleaned out in Miami in 1989... umm, don't live in Miami, was my eventual solution. You can't shoot EVERYBODY, they're too quick & sneaky. Cities suck? :dontknow:

Strangely enough, the records would have been worth far more than all the guitars put together, if I still had them and they hadn't got sold for crack cocaine for a penny on the dollar... God bless crack, the ultimate anti-materialism sensei. :help:

I bought my house new and it came with a security system, but I never had the service activated.  It would be about $50 a month, atleast that's what it was 4 years ago.  Now, most homeowner's insurance policies will give a discount on your premium if you have a system, so it ends up being a wash.

What worries me more than that would be if I lived in an apartment.  You could be as careful as you want, but it's all for naught if your neighbors are idiots.  For example, you come home to find your '59 LP or '54 Strat burned up because the guy underneath you left a candle burning, left the oven on, or fell asleep smoking.

Behold Lucky.

DSC_1971s.jpg

She shreds incoming mail, including neckplates from DangerousR6, except he now has bulletproof packaging.

Apart from that, her favourite pose is exactly like the dog of RLW, except I didn't get a picture of her like that yet cause she has the cat-like reflexes to move at the approach of a camera...

The cheapest and most reliable home security system is having nosy neighbors. You can even test the system by having your friends come by when you're not home and see who tells you about it.

In my neighborhood we rely on each other. Each neighbor looks after the other's place, has a key, has the appropriate phone numbers and has the authority to call the cops if they see anything strange going on.

Better than a security system IMHO.

Ditto. Plus a large number of them are retired, going out and coming in at the darndest times of the day and the night.

jackthehack said:
You've seen those hanging bug zappers? Get yourself some flyback transformers out of old 17/21" CRT monitors and you can build 50-60 kilovolt "burglar zappers" out of them; work great on aluminum window frames.

Let me get this right...you take the transformers out of the old  monitors, somehow attach them to the aluminium window frame, plug them in & turn on the switch as you are leaving home. Meanwhile, while you are out, anyone that touches the said window frames will get zapped. Ingenious, if not evil.

How many volts would they get Jack? I'd hate to come home to a crime scene involving a fried corpse!

OzziePete said:
jackthehack said:

Let me get this right...you take the transformers out of the old  monitors, somehow attach them to the aluminium window frame, plug them in & turn on the switch as you are leaving home. Meanwhile, while you are out, anyone that touches the said window frames will get zapped. Ingenious, if not evil.

How many volts would they get Jack? I'd hate to come home to a crime scene involving a fried corpse!

This is going to lead you into a serious legal clobbering. Nailing a burglar with a .45 may be justifiable, but setting up potentially lethal booby traps on the outside of your house probably is not. Setting up electric zappafuggers in DIY is very risky in that respect. I doubt if you will be able to factor in that the burglar may have a heart condition or even a pacemaker, that it may be raining with both the ground and your window frames wet, or it may not even be a burglar but the neighbour kid who kicked his ball over your fence. However much joy there may be in speculating on 60KV being applied to a burglar's anatomy, this is NOT a good idea.

If you don't REALLY know what you're doing, you shouldn't be jacking around inside a CRT monitor, as voltage outs on the flyback transformers are measured in 10s of kilovolts. If you think a tube amp will screw up your day, multiply that exponentially for voltages inside a CRT monitor. You can always rig it up to look like you had a science project going on INSIDE the house; additionally, if you have metal window frames you can always wire those to electric cattle fence type transformers; not fatal, but will blow an potential burglar back off the house and send them looking for someplace else to rob...

jackthehack said:
...additionally, if you have metal window frames you can always wire those to electric cattle fence type transformers; not fatal, but will blow an potential burglar back off the house and send them looking for someplace else to rob...

I like your thinking  :laughing7:

But such a system becomes unfortunate when you lock yourself out of the house, and want to climb in the window.

Or, if you have kids.

jackthehack said:
If you don't REALLY know what you're doing, you shouldn't be jacking around inside a CRT monitor, as voltage outs on the flyback transformers are measured in 10s of kilovolts. If you think a tube amp will screw up your day, multiply that exponentially for voltages inside a CRT monitor. You can always rig it up to look like you had a science project going on INSIDE the house; additionally, if you have metal window frames you can always wire those to electric cattle fence type transformers; not fatal, but will blow an potential burglar back off the house and send them looking for someplace else to rob...

I doubt that I would even remotely think of doing anything like hacking into a CRT - my electronics knowledge is minimal to say the least, and I'd probably be the first one I'd fry if I was to try to rig up a  burglar-zapper! :sad:

Having hit my leg on one of those cattle fence things when I was a kid, I can tell you that it's not only cattle that learn very quickly not to touch the darned things - they hurt. And not sure that someone with a bad ticker wouldn't keel over from the belt they'd get from one either. :icon_scratch:

BTW, I do have an old CRT monitor lying around, and my windows are aluminium, but for the immense worry of zapping someone innocent into their next life while I was away, it isn't worth that sort of risk.

And in any case, the area I live in is very civil and there has been very little trouble to date - and I've been here 6 years now.

Like your evil thoughts though Jack......I hope you don't practically utilise these sort of things you think of.

Back